Quick Hits 11/21

Anthony Clark Jr., Sports Editor

DI hockey adds two wins against EMU

Grand Valley State University’s DI men’s hockey club are now 16-4 on the season after two dominating matches against Eastern Michigan University this past weekend.

The Nov. 18-19 matches were split between a home (12-1) and an away battle (14-0) that finished in an offensive landslide.

GVSU will continue their season in a double-header against Concordia University – Ann Arbor on Dec. 3-4, the latter being played at the Griff’s Georgetown Ice Arena with a 2:30 p.m. puck drop.

GV football takes home GLIAC honors ahead of playoffs

With an undefeated regular-season record (11-0), GVSU football was recognized through individual awards and honorable mentions.

First and foremost, junior quarterback Cade Peterson was named Offensive Back of the Year as he was a catalyst for the team’s stellar performance thus far. Peterson accumulated 2,076 yards (led GLIAC with 230.2 yards per game), 16-total touchdowns (456 rushing yards; seven touchdowns) while throwing 135-221 passes. 

Peterson was also named the GLIAC Player of the Week twice this season (five total in career).

Senior offensive tackle Quinton Barrow, a top lineman in the country, was named Offensive Lineman of the Year and is a pillar for the o-line that leads the GLIAC in total first downs (256) and a rushing offense that averages 241.1 yards per game (466.7 yards total).

All-American candidate Junior Abe Swanson was named Defensive Back of the Year as he racked up 73 tackles (29 individual, 44 assisted), 7 tackles for a loss of 25 yards in total, and 2.5 sacks. On top of these stats, Swanson was also recognized as the GLIAC Defensive Player of the Week twice this season (five total in career).

Additionally, All-American candidate Christian McCarroll was named Defensive Lineman of the Year as his contribution to the secondary unit was a huge disruption in each match. McCarroll recorded 29 tackles (13 solo, 16 assisted) with 11.5 tackles for a loss of 54-total yards (four sacks).

Last but not least, an onslaught of Lakers were named All-GLIAC First and Second Team in addition to honorable mentions:

First Team Offense: Peterson, juniors Tariq Reid, Jordan Davis and Garrett Carroll, sophomore Jahdae Walker, Barrow

First Team Defense: McCarroll, Swanson, senior Damon Wesley, sophomore Nyzier Fourqurean, redshirt freshman Trace Hrgich

Second Team Offense: senior Jayk Slager, sophomores Jaylon Tillmon and Gabe Brown

Second Team Defense: junior Colton Hyble, sophomore Jack Gilchrist, redshirt freshman Terez Reid

Honorable Mention:  seniors Antonio Strong, Jack Provencher and Nate Umlor, juniors Seth Hoonhorst and Joel Linden