Comic Book Club returns to GV

GVL / Meghan Tripp

Colleen Garcia, Staff Writer

Grand Valley State University’s Comic Book Club aims to create a space for students to gather and enjoy comics together. The club had existed in the past, however it has not been active for the last several years.

Club President Sydney Fuller and Vice President Lindsey Schmidt brought the club back to create a community for people who love comics and want to share their interests.

Schmidt said she fell in love with comic books because of her enjoyment of reading. While Schmidt said her passion for reading began with fantasy and science fiction, she eventually started reading comic books as well.

I fell in love with not just the story but the art as well,” Schmidt said. “Ever since then, I’ve been trying different series and reading all sorts of different types of comic books.”

Schmidt said Comic Book Club meetings begin with short announcements, followed by activities and discussions for members. Some of these activities include movies and “group reads,” where the club selects a book for the members to read and discuss. 

“The activities and discussions include things like brackets, where we pit characters against each other to figure out our favorites heroes and villains,” Schmidt said. “(The club does) ‘fan casting’ where we discuss which actors we’d like to see play some of our favorite characters on the big screen.” 

Additionally, the Comic Book Club occasionally participates in outside activities, which include things like trips to Comic Con, a convention that focuses on comic books and comic book culture. Schmidt said the club’s trip to Grand Rapids Comic Con a couple of weeks ago was her first time at the event and one of her favorite memories in the organization. 

Schmidt encourages students to join comic book clubs to meet other students with similar passions and interests. Comic Book Club’s goal is to build a community that is excited to learn more about the history of comics and enjoy time with others. The organization aims to create a safe and relaxing environment where everyone can feel welcome.

“I just started reading comic books a few months ago and I’m the vice president, so there is definitely no pressure to be super experienced,” Schmidt said. “We also welcome lovers of all sorts of different comic-related media, including manga and anime. It’s a super fun, relaxed space where you can make some friends and share your ideas.” 

The club’s meetings take place in Kirkhof Center on Wednesdays from 8-9 p.m. Students can learn more through Laker Link or through email at [email protected]. More information about the club can be found on their Instagram page, @gvcomicbookclub.