Sports fall 2022 semester in review

Anthony Clark Jr., Sports Editor

Carl Trosien to step down from GV men’s hockey head coach position

Courtesy / Twitter (@gv_hockey)

After four seasons with the Lakers, Grand Valley State University men’s club hockey Head Coach Carl Trosien will move on from his position with the program.

“I am grateful to GVSU for the opportunity to coach here,” Trosien said. “I have really enjoyed my time here and the friendships we have made.”

This decision comes just five months after the club won its first conference title in the Great Lakes Collegiate Hockey Conference (GLCHC) Division 1 league, which was also the same year the club moved up to that level.

Trosien made it clear that he was not actively looking for a new position, but instead an opportunity fell into his lap.

“I was not looking, the family was very happy here,” Trosien said. “(However) there are not a ton of full-time ACHA jobs that are run through NCAA athletic departments, so it was something I had to consider. Long story short, it was a family decision first and a hockey decision second.”

To hear about Trosien’s resignation decision from Sports Editor Anthony Clark Jr.’s, click here.

Lakers show out in Spartan Invite as GV cross country places top-two

Courtesy / GVSU Athletics

The Grand Valley State University men’s and women’s cross country teams had a successful start to their fall season in the Spartan Invitational as the men’s team placed first and the women’s finished second overall.

GVSU head coach Jerry Baltes was pleased with the results of his teams, stating that both sides of the cross country program are “focused on training at a high level” in order to compete for a back-to-back championship.

The men’s team finished with a score of 45 points, dominating their opponents and overcoming three NCAA Division I opponents: Cincinnati (second place, 89 points), Michigan State University (third place, 115 points) and Kent State University (fourth place, 162 points).

To read more of Ermias Stewart’s coverage on the team’s performance at the Spartan Invitational, click here.

Men’s golf wraps up fall season with another team title win

GVL / Bethann Long

In their fourth first-place finish in the fall season, the Grand Valley State University men’s golf closed out a successful fall season with a win at the Motor City Invitational.

The Lakers found themselves in a tight match after day one, holding only a six-stroke lead over Tiffin University, with Wayne State and Ferris State not far behind. GVSU shot a 296 on day one, eight strokes above par.

Sophomore Charles DeLong led the Lakers on the individual leaderboards once more after 18 holes as he sat in second place (71, -2). Sophomore Nick Krueger (fifth) and freshman Charlie Cooley (tied-sixth) were as influential in the first round as they held a score of 73 and 74 respectively.

Being one stroke behind the first place leader after round one (Hurtubise; Wayne State), DeLong was familiar with this type of situation and used his versatility to take charge.

To continue the golf team’s season recap by Jason Millis, click here.

Late touchdown lifts GV football over Ferris on the Road

Courtesy / GVSU Athletics

The now 7-0 Grand Valley State University football team defeated the defending NCAA DII National Champions in Ferris State University in the annual Anchor-Bone Classic to end the regular season six-game losing streak against the opponent.

With the win, the Lakers were able to avenge two losses from the previous season and dealt the Bulldogs its first regular season loss since 2017.

“(The games left a) very bad taste in our mouth,” junior linebacker Abe Swanson said. “We went a whole season thinking about the playoff game and how much that loss hurt us, and it gave us fuel going into this one. There’s still a lot of season left, but it was so satisfying to get that win.”

GVSU started the game flawlessly, as junior quarterback Cade Peterson led the offense 60 yards in six plays on the opening drive, capped off by an 18-yard touchdown connection from Peterson to senior running back Jack Provencher to put the Lakers up a touchdown, 7-0.

To read more of Brian Bloom’s article of the huge win FSU, click here.

Women’s volleyball finds momentum in three-game week

GVL / Macayla Cramer

In another competitive week of close-scoring matches, the Grand Valley State University women’s volleyball team took on three conference opponents that finished 2-1 overall.

The Lakers played on Oct. 25 (Davenport University), Oct. 28 (Ferris State) and Oct. 29 (Lake Superior State), all of which resulted 3-1, 1-3 and 3-1 respectively.

GVSU mustered a 3-1 redemption match against the crosstown rival Davenport as the previous matchup was dropped 1-3 at home. This time around, the Lakers found themselves on the offensive attack and the defensive blocks as the only set loss was by three points.

The first set started well as the Lakers came out hot and created an 8-4 lead early. However, the Panthers would respond as the set continued to be a back-and-forth battle up to the 20-16 mark.

Going on a 1-4 run, the Panthers looked as if they might come from behind and steal the set, but the Lakers didn’t fold and eventually took the first set, 25-20.

To find out the outcome of all three matches written by Madeleine Smith, click here.

GV women’s basketball begins season undefeated after two games

GVL / Bethann Long

Grand Valley State University’s women’s basketball is now 2-0 after a successful two-game road trip against Missouri – St. Louis (81-55) and Maryville University (78-57).

Missouri would win the opening tip but fail to convert on their first field goal attempt, and GVSU wasted no time to respond to the miss with a three-pointer by senior guard Emily Spitzley as the offensive attack wouldn’t let up.

The first 10 minutes of action would see the Lakers create a 19-9 lead as a three-point attempt by senior forward Hannah Kulas just before the buzzer would miss the mark.

As the action continued in the second quarter, GVSU continued to separate themselves from the opponent no matter how hard the Tritons attempted to claw their way back.

To read through the entire article by Gabriela Garbey, click here.

Women’s soccer achieves conference title and GLIAC honors heading into national tournament

GVL / Annabelle Robinson

After two shutout performances and a tough championship match, Grand Valley State University women’s soccer are the 2022 GLIAC Champions.

As the No. 1 seed in the conference, GVSU hosted all three battles on their home pitch and used it to their advantage.

GVSU’s first match on Nov. 1 was against Purdue Northwest (7-0), an opponent they managed to also shutout in both regular-season matchups (8-0, 2-0).

Applying pressure early, the Lakers opened the match with a goal  by senior forward Kennedy Bearden (her first of two) on an assist by senior defender Cate Brown (2:52).

Four missed shots by sophomore midfielder Emma Chudik, two by fifth-year forward Kennedy Metzger and senior defender Alexa Morello led up to PNW’s first shot attempt of the match (16:32) only to sail by the top right of the goal.

To continue the recap by Clark Jr., click here.