Arts & Entertainment Briefs 1/17

Emma Armijo, Arts & Entertainment Editor

GV Faculty Artist Recital: Dr. Sookkyung Cho

Grand Valley State University’s Dr. Sookkyung Cho is performing a winter recital this weekend featuring different works from Schubert Sonatas & Chopin Etudes.

The performances will be held at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 20 and Saturday, Jan. 21. in the Sherman van Solkema Recital Hall at the Haas Center for Performing Arts. 

Parking maps and performance information can be found on the GVSU events page.

Grand Rapids, MI: Winter Jam 2023

The winter music festival, Winter Jam 2023, is happening at the Van Andel Arena in Grand Rapids this Thursday, Jan. 20.

The lineup includes We The Kingdom, Jeremy Camp, Andy Mineo, Anne, Wilson, Disciple, Austin French and Newsong.

‘Pre-Jam’ begins at 6 p.m. on Thursday, before the headliners’ performances.

Winter Jam is seeking volunteers to help with the show. Volunteers can find more information on Eventbrite’s website.

This event is hosted by Newsong and is open to the public. Tickets are $15 each. 

37th Annual Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Commemoration

On Monday, Jan. 16, Davenport University hosted its 37th annual commemoration dedicated to the legacy of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Housed at Fountain Street Church, the theme for the event is “Race and Democracy.” Dr. Eddie S. Glaude, Jr., chair of the Department of African American Studies at Princeton University, is the keynote speaker for the event.

This event is also an opportunity to recognize the winners of the annual MLK Jr. Day essay contest winners. The event will conclude with a silent march.

More information can be found on Davenport University’s website.

Grand Rapids: Michigan Music Conference 2023

The 18th annual Michigan Music Conference (MMC) is taking place this week from Jan. 19 to Jan. 21. 

This event is held at the DeVos Performing Arts Center in downtown Grand Rapids and features 32 performances, 200 educational sessions and over 100 speakers.

The purpose of the Michigan Music Conference is to provide relevant professional development and vibrant musical experiences that support music education for educators and their students.

For more information regarding the event, education opportunities and attendance, those interested can visit the Michigan Music Conference website.

GVSU: MTD Department Audition

This Friday, January 20th, is the first audition date for the Music, Theater & Dance Department of the new year. The dance department is holding auditions for new students looking to enroll in the program for the 2023-2024 academic year.

Anyone wishing to audition for the dance minor or dance major should visit the GVSU Dance Department website and fill out the online application for the dance program. Scholarships are available, but limited. Email Bridgett [email protected] with any questions about scheduling or the audition process. Remaining audition dates are 

Friday, January 20, 2023 (For Fall 2023 entry)

Friday, February 17, 2023 (For Fall 2023 entry)

Friday, March 17, 2023 (For Fall 2023 entry, no scholarship consideration)