Quick Hits 1/23

Anthony Clark Jr., Sports Editor

Track and field continues hot start to indoor season

Grand Valley State University track and field held their third meet of the indoor season as an array of Lakers took first place in the Mike Lints Alumni Meet.

For the men’s: junior Eli Kosiba out-leaped his previously held GVSU record in the men’s high jump (2.20m) with a height of 2.23m to take first place followed by sophomore Johnathan Rankins-James (2.12m) in second place. Senior James Nutt led the pole vaulters with a first-place 4.76m height (NCAA DII provisional mark), while junior Chanse Setzke and freshman Luke Jelderks were neck and neck in long jumps with distances of 6.87m and 6.84m respectively for first and second place.

Juniors Myles Rhodes (21.85 seconds) and Antonio Passarelli (22.2 seconds) took first and second place respectively in the 60m dash while freshman Fallou Gaye took first in the 400m dash (48.89 seconds). Graduate student Jackson Blanchard also shined for the sprinters as he took first place in the 60m hurdles with a time of 8.16 seconds – an NCAA DII provisional mark.

In the women’s categories: seniors Kassidie Stimmel (3.90m) and Kaylee Koch (3.75m) took first and second place respectively in pole vaults with both of their NCAA DII provisional marks. 

Freshman Destini Dorkins led the 60m hurdles with a time of 9.26 seconds, sophomore Taryn Chapko recorded an NCAA DII provisional mark while placing first in the one-mile run (4:56.51 minutes) and sophomore Maria Mitchell took first in the 800m run with a time of 2:14.06– another NCAA DII provisional mark.

Lastly, graduate student Angelic Floyd finished in first place in the 60m dash with a time of 7.91 seconds.

USA Lacrosse Magazine names five Lakers to preseason All-American honors

GVSU women’s lacrosse was recognized in the most recent preseason honors as the team prepares for the start of their season next month.

Seniors Molly Bursinger (midfielder), Shae Strehl (defender), and Maggie Hammer (midfielder) and juniors Aislynn Alkire (defender) and Audrey Maloney (goalie) were all recognized in a handful of honors lists.

Bursinger was named Preseason First-Team, Alkire and Maloney followed with Preseason Second-Team and Preseason Third-Team respectively while Hammer and Strehl were given honorable mention for the Preseason All-American list.

GVSU was also ranked No. 5 in the USA Lacrosse Magazine Preseason Poll, making it the highest preseason rank in program history. The Lakers will begin their five-game stretch of away games against Flagler College to start their 2023 schedule on Feb. 16.

GV football names new head coach

Scott Wooster, former offensive line and tight ends coach for the Lakers, has been named to the head coaching position for the GVSU football program.

Wooster has coached for the Lakers in three seasons prior to his promotion to head coach after just six days passed since the sudden news of previous head coach Matt Mitchell stepping down from the position.