Quick Hits 1/30

Anthony Clark Jr., Sports Editor

Women’s basketball snags two wins as Kamin hits career high

The Grand Valley State University women’s basketball team defeated Purdue Northwest (88-47) and Wisconsin-Parkside (75-57), improving their record to 19-2 overall.

Both matchups were the second meetings against both opponents this season, resulting in the Lakers sweeping each series 2-0. 

GVSU’s first meeting against PNW on Jan. 7 was decided by just eight points (62-54), but their second meeting (Jan. 26) improved dramatically as the team shot 53.3% from the field and held PNW to just 11 made field goals (11-43) to blow their opponent out of the arena.

Senior guard Emily Spitzley (15), redshirt sophomore Rylie Bisballe (14) and sophomore guard Abrie Cabana (10) led their team in point production as the bench unit was a huge contributor to the win with 54 points.

The second game of this past week, on Jan. 28, saw the Lakers overcome a slow start in the first half as the team was only able to convert eight of their 34 shot attempts (23% FG) and trailed 23-25 at the break.

However, an explosive 52-32 scoring run in the second half would stun the Rangers and create enough of a cushion to take the win at home.

Redshirt freshman guard Nicole Kamin led the team with her career high in points (20), followed by 13 points each from Spitzley, Bisballe and redshirt sophomore guard Hadley Miller.

The Lakers are now 10-1 in GLIAC action as they maintain their No. 1 rank in the conference with just one game on the road this week against Davenport, on Feb. 4.

GV tennis preparing for UIndy in first match of 2023

GVSU’s men’s and women’s tennis teams are less than a week away from the beginning of their 2022-23 spring campaigns.

The men’s team hasn’t won a meeting against UIndy since 2011 with a losing streak of six-straight meetings (5-7 overall), while the women’s side face five-straight losses themselves (8-6 overall) as their last win was during their 2012 season.

Both teams will host the Greyhounds at home on Feb. 4 starting at 12 p.m.

115 Laker student-athletes receive academic honors through fall sports

In a typifying moment of GVSU athletics, 115 total student-athletes were recognized for their hard work in their sport and in the classroom to be just one of two schools in the GLIAC to reach over 100 honors.

Women’s volleyball, cross country, men’s football and women’s soccer were all recognized as a combined 73 Lakers were named to the All-Academics teams and 42 Lakers named to Academic Excellence teams. The full list of Lakers that received academic honors can be found at gvsulakers.com/archives.