Arts & Entertainment Briefs 2/13

Emma Armijo, Arts and Entertainment Editor

GV Theatre Program opens new show on campus

The Grand Valley State University Opera Theatre is presenting a new production this Friday on the Allendale campus. The production is called, “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.” The show will debut on Friday, Feb. 17, continuing the rest of the weekend and into the following week. The show is based on a book written by Rachel Sheinkin. 

Housed in the Louis Armstrong Theatre in the Haas Center for Performing Arts, the play features a cast of GVSU students, primarily those studying theatre. The show is directed by Pauls Macs.

For more information about the performance schedule and ticket details, visit the GVSU MTD website or the GVSU Events page.

Art organization focused on disability empowerment recruits at GV

The GVSU Employer Showcase is featuring the organization Artists Creating Together (ACT) on Wednesday, Feb. 15. ACT works to enrich the lives of people with and without disabilities in West Michigan through specialized creative expression programming.

The showcase will give interested students a chance to learn about internship and career opportunities that are available through ACT, as well as what a day in the life on the job might look like. 

The event is a low-stress, casual interaction with representatives of the Artists Creating Together. The showcase will take place from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in AuSable Hall in the first floor lobby.

Latin American Studies program features a human rights movie

Students are welcome to join the Latin American Studies program in the Kirkhof Center this Wednesday for a Human Rights Movie Night.  

The featured film is entitled, “Tambien la Lluvia,” which translates to “Even the Rain.” The movie tells the story of the brutal interactions between Christopher Columbus and the indigenous peoples in Hispaniola, with focus on globalization of the film industry and critiques of how history is represented today.

Pizza and beverages will be provided. This event will be held in room 2270 from 6-8 p.m. on Feb. 15. The Human Rights Movie Night is INT 100/201 approved.

GV Asian Student Union hosts Asian New Year Festival

The Asian Student Union is hosting the annual Asian New Year Festival (ANYF) to celebrate the Lunar New Year, spread awareness about Asian cultures and raise money for the Young Foundation. The Young Foundation is a nonprofit that assists immigrant children in the tedious process of becoming US citizens. 

The event will feature traditional cultural food, live performances and a cultural fashion show. All campus community members are welcome to attend.

The event will take place in the Grand River Room of the Kirkhof Center on the Allendale campus on Feb. 18 from 6-8 p.m.