Quick Hits 3/27

Anthony Clark Jr., Sports Editor

Women’s golf continues spring campaign

After opening their spring season with a victory in the Augustana Spring Fling March 9-10, the Grand Valley State University women’s golf team finished in seventh place in the UF Spring Invite with a score of 930 (+66).

The Augustana win featured seven teams in total as the Lakers would finish 16 strokes ahead of second place (Augustana-SD) with their final scorecard tallying 596 points. Sophomore Olivia Stoll (equal to par) led her team with the individual title victory, followed by sophomores Paula Badino (tied fourth, +6), Julia Sanchez (tied sixth, +7), Megan Miron (tied ninth, +8) and junior Kay Zubkus making her 2022-23 season debut with a three-way tie finish for 14th overall (+10).

March 20-21 consisted of the UF Invite as 18 teams fought for the title. Although a far different outcome than the one previous, all five Lakers managed to place in the top-40 of 95 golfers: Sanchez (tied 11th, +10), Stoll (tied 26th, +19), Miron (tied 30th, +20), Badino (tied 38th, +23) and Zubkus tying for 40th place (+24).

GVSU will hope to rebound as they travel out of state to play in the North Georgia Event April 3-4.

Men’s lacrosse club open up home action

GVSU men’s lacrosse club is one of many spring sports looking to add a potential conference, regional and even national title to their history books as the team is heading home to Allendale to continue spring ball.

However, the team is still feeling the effects of the global shutdown after all this time. Prior to their last two home games March 24 and 26, the team had only played one home game in 1,453 days. 

With that, the victory against the University of Dayton made it that much sweeter for the Lakers to be back on their home pitch and continue their illustrious play for the 2023 spring campaign. Just four games remain in their schedule, with two of those matches being at home this week.

The Lakers will host Missouri State University (March 31) and the University of St. Thomas (April 2) in their final home games of the season.

Softball back on the winning side

Women’s softball added their 18th victory of the season after a successful doubleheader against Parkside University that finished 2-0 for the Lakers, placing the team at No. 1 in the GLIAC standings.

March 24 consisted of GVSU shutting out the Rangers in the first game, 10-0, in just six innings, followed by another 10-2 blowout that ended in five innings to add to the excitement of their home-opening weekend. 

GVSU will continue a stretch of home battles as they host two doubleheaders against Lewis University (March 29) at 3 p.m. and Ferris State (April 1) at 1 p.m.