Arts & Entertainment Briefs 9/4

GV beekeepers hold craft night

The Grand Valley State University Beekeepers Club is holding a crafting event in the arboretum on Friday, Sept. 8 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. 

According to a post on the group’s Instagram, attendees will be able to make bee-themed bracelets. 

GVAIL hosts 61st Traditional Powwow

The Grand Valley American Indian Lodge’s 61st annual powwow will be taking place on Sept. 9 from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. and on Sept. 10 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

The event, held in Riverside Park, is open to all indigenous organizations, tribal groups and the general public. The powwow will showcase Native dances, music, food and craft booths. 

Brass clinic to be held at GV for PK-12 students

Students in prekindergarten through high school are invited to the Back to School Brass Clinic being held in the Haas Center for Performing Arts on Sept. 10 from 1:45 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. 

Those who attend will be able to participate in practice techniques, fundamentals classes and rehearsals. In addition, there will be performances by Grand Valley State University staff and students. Registration in advance is encouraged. 

Open auditions for GV Theatre’s “Rent” 

Grand Valley State University’s Theatre Program will be holding auditions for its production of the musical “Rent.” Auditions will be held on Sept. 8 and Sept. 9 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. in Room 1410 of the Haas Center for Performing Arts. 

Rent,” written by playwright Johnathan Larson, will be performed from Nov. 17 through Dec. 3 and will be directed by Diane Machin. 

Immersive exhibit at Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park

A multi-media exhibition by renowned Spanish artist Cristina Iglesias will be at the Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park until Sept. 24. 

The exhibit, titled “Cristina Iglesias: Under and In Between” displays her work from the last 20 years, as it is her first public display in the United States in more than two decades. According to Meijer Gardens’ website, Iglesias’ work includes, “wall reliefs, metal silk-screens, liquid sculptures, video and debuts a new ‘Cave series of copper panels.”

Iglesias is also known for incorporating water and dimensional terrain into her art.

“Michigan is an ideal place to host an exhibition of Cristina Iglesias’ work, given the deep connection so many Michiganders feel to the waters and natural environment that surround us,” Meijer Gardens said when discussing an event held at the exhibition in August.