Arts & Entertainment Briefs 10/2

Vintage market to be held in Grand Rapids

Mitten Vintage, a traveling collective of vintage vendors, will be holding a market event in Grand Rapids on Oct. 7 from 11-6 p.m. There will be more than 100 vendors and small businesses at the free event. 

It is the three year anniversary of the outdoor market, which will be held at 4273 Alpine Ave. NW. 

GV to host author for poetry night

Poet Kimiko Hahn will be speaking at the Wealthy Theatre on Oct. 5 from 7-9 p.m. as part of the GVSU Arts Celebration. Following her presentation, there will be a book signing.

Hahn, author of ten poetry books, has been the recipient of an American Book Award, Association of Asian American Studies Literature Award and Guggenheim Fellowship. She has also written for films and experimental documentaries. 

Indigenous Michigan Court of Appeals judge to speak at GV

Hon. Allie Maldonado, the first Anishinaabekwe (Native American woman) to be appointed as a judge of the Michigan Court of Appeals, will be speaking at Grand Valley State University during the Native American Heritage Celebration. She will be speaking on Oct. 5 at 11 a.m. in the Loosemore Auditorium.

Maldonado is a citizen of the Little Traverse Bay Bands of Odawa Indians. She will be sharing her story in becoming an attorney, the importance of indigenous judges and discussing the intergenerational trauma of the Boarding School time period. 

Guest oboe artist holding workshop for students

Nancy Ambrose King, author of the e-book “Making Oboe Reeds from Start to Finish,” will be hosting a two-hour workshop for Grand Valley State University students on Oct. 5 from 5-7 p.m. The event will be held in the Double Reed Room of the Haas Center for Performing Arts.

According to the Department of Music, Theatre and Dance website, individuals interested in attending are encouraged to email Marlen Vavrikova.

Screening of LGBT films directed by former GV professor

Three award-winning short films by Austin Bunn, former assistant professor in the Grand Valley State University Writing Department, will be screened in Kirkhof Center’s Grand River Room on Oct. 5 at 7:30 p.m. 

The films revolve around rural LGBT life and the history of the gay rights movement. “Lavender Hill” (2013), “In the Hollow” (2015), and “Campfire” (2023) will be shown. 

Bunn currently is an Associate Professor in the Department of Performing and Media Arts and Director of the Milstein Program in Technology and Humanity at Cornell University. He has also co-wrote the script for “Kill Your Darlings,” starring Daniel Radcliffe, which debuted at the Sundance Film Festival.