CAB painting party celebrates individuality

GVL/ Sydney Lim

Grand Valley State University’s Campus Activity Board (CAB) hosted a painting party for students in the Promotions Office’s Creative Station on Oct. 5. Attendees were able to gather together and create paintings that depicted topics and ideals that were meaningful for them.

The painting party was held for students to have fun while creating artwork. Similar to other CAB events, the aim was for students to get to know each other and step out of their comfort zones. Meeting people with the same or different experiences allowed attendees to reflect on the passions represented in each others’ works of art.

Javari Wiggins, a GVSU student, attended the painting party. Wiggins said the event caught his attention compared to other events happening on campus.

“I first hesitated to go, but (I) pushed myself. People were just painting and expressing themselves. I felt comfortable painting what I did,” Wiggins said.

At the event, Wiggins painted a boy dressed in colorful clothing surrounded by a chaotic crowd, but he chose to block the crowd out in the image. 

“I wanted this to represent the struggles that a person a part of the LGBTQ community may face, even when they are only seeking happiness and love like anyone else,” Wiggins said. “But, I’m blocking them out and (focusing on) me.”

The event was a space for those in attendance to reflect on personal experiences and translate individual meaning into artistry, just as Wiggins did in his painting. 

“The meaning behind this piece (is) that I was the boy that society wouldn’t accept. (But), I was never looking to be accepted, only self-loved,” Wiggins said. 

Other students’ paintings depicted their favorite animals, clothing, seasons and religious imagery. The event allowed for a creative space where students could demonstrate their preferences, the things that people love or honor and the things that students are uncontrollably drawn to. 

The painting party was a space for students to be able to express the things that they deemed important and that they value. Bringing students together from different backgrounds allowed one another to gain perspective into the various topics people cherish.