GV soccer goes 1-0-1 on the weekend with a win over rival Ferris

GVL / Macayla Cramer

The No. 20 ranked Grand Valley State University Lakers women’s soccer team (8-2-6) went on the road and beat rival Ferris State University Bulldogs (5-7-4) with a 2-1 final score. The team returned home on Friday, Oct. 22 with a 0-0 tie against the University of Wisconsin-Parkside Rangers (5-7-3). It was the start of the Lakers final three games, all at home.

Against the Bulldogs, the first goal was quickly scored by the Lakers. In only the fifth minute of play, junior midfielder Ryann Fetty was able to get her first goal of the season with a shot into the top right corner of the net. The goal was assisted by freshman midfielder Ella Kleiver, and from there, the team never looked back.

“It was my first goal, so it felt really good to score,” Fetty said. “To get the early lead and putting us ahead gave us a lot of morale going forward. We knew we were in this and we just kept pushing.”

Swiftly following their early lead, the GVSU Lakers would find themselves on the scoreboard again in minute 26 with a goal from graduate midfielder Avery Lockwood on an assist by sophomore defender Kacy Lauer.

FSU would eventually cut down the lead with a goal of their own coming near the 68-minute mark off of a corner kick that found its way into the back of the net. Although the gap was narrowed down to one point, it was too little too late, and the Lakers prevailed.

After sweeping the Bulldogs in their two regular season matchups, GVSU moves to 35-3-5 in the series against FSU over the last 20 years.

Coming from Kenosha, Wisconsin, the Rangers would travel nearly four hours to Allendale, Michigan to face GVSU. Even with the long transit, Parkside battled the Lakers from the start.

Early on, the GVSU offense was getting opportunities and would test Parkside’s defense with multiple shots near the net. Back-to-back corner kicks came close to finding their way in, but none succeeded.

At the half, the game remained scoreless. With the amount of close goals, fans were on the edge of their seats, anticipating in suspense for the first point to be scored.

However, like the first half, the final 45 minutes went without a score despite the Lakers having 26 shots throughout the game. Even with the onslaught of attempts, the Rangers’ defense, along with their senior goalkeeper Izzy Guyer, held strong until the end.

With the season nearing completion, senior forward Alicia White spoke on the team’s plan moving forward.

“We keep saying that we are not the same team we were two years ago when we won the national championship, so I think if we keep believing in each other and believe that we have what it takes, we can be the best team in the conference,” White said. “We need to take what we work on in training every week and apply it to the last two games that we have and all games we play afterward.” 

Prior to this game’s kickoff, GVSU would announce and honor the achievements of each senior on the team for this year’s senior night. White, Avery Lockwood, Mackenzie Jones and Taylor Reid were the four players recognized.

Head coach Katie Hultin said she was extremely proud of the seniors’ personal growth and contributions to the program. 

“Over their careers and this season, they have been very impactful on and off the field. Jones and Reid are All-Americans through and through. White has battled injuries throughout her career, but has bounced back and has been incredible for us every moment she can,” Hultin said. “Lockwood is a transfer, but still every bit important, and she, along with all of the other seniors, have been impactful.”

GVSU will welcome Davenport University (5-5-5) to the GVSU soccer field for their final regular season game on Thursday, Nov. 2 at 7 p.m. before the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) tournament that begins the following week on Monday, Nov. 6.