My favorite books for this winter season

Winter. Name a better season to stay inside by the fire and cuddle up with a good book… you can’t, I know. Now, for some people, it may be difficult to know what kinds of books to start with or what may be the best.

If you’re looking to jump into some classics for the winter, then “Crime and Punishment” is good. If you’re looking for some more romantic classics then “Pride and Prejudice,” “Tess D’Ubervilles,” “Dracula,” and “Wuthering Heights.” It all just depends on what you are looking for, and there are so many different genres you could dive into. 

A lot of people look to read romances during this time of the year, especially with the holiday season coming up and the end of the year. While I’ve heard a lot of people talking about Colleen Hoover, there are a lot of other really good romance authors. Ana Huang wrote a popular series called “Twisted Love.” Elle Kennedy writes a lot of romance novels, but a series that is particularly good for the winter season is her hockey romance series called the “Off-Campus” series. Lucy Score writes popular romance novels as well as Penelope Douglass. 

Personally, as uncool or nerdy as it may sound, I love fantasy, especially in the winter. Right now, Sarah J. Maas and Jennifer Armentrout are my favorite authors. The world-building they do and the plots they create are seriously insane! A new hot author right now is Rebecca Yarros, who writes “Fourth Wing” and “Iron Flame,” which just came out on Nov. 7. 

Now, if you’re looking for some straight-up fiction, then I also have plenty of recommendations for you. Raven Leilani’s “Luster” is incredibly well-written and thought-provoking. Elif Batuman’s “The Idiot” is seriously hilarious. Otessa Moshfegh is going to go down in the history books for her writing from “My Year of Rest and Relaxation” to “Death in Her Hands,” every single one has been absolutely breathtaking. Simone de Beauvoir’s “The Woman Destroyed” is also revolutionary. 

There are thousands of good fiction books in the world, but these are some of my favorites. In terms of new releases, “Iron Flame” just came out as I said earlier. Maas’ “House of Flame and Shadow” comes out in January. “The Leftover Woman” came out on Oct. 10 and “Check and Mate” by Ali Hazelwood came out on Nov. 7. In regards to Yarros’ new release, it is good to know that it is the second book in a series of hers. Maas’ upcoming release is also the third book in a series she is working on that is connected to two other series she has written. 

I hope that you take some of my suggestions into mind, or find your own literary discoveries, as winter begins and the desire to read grows. The winter is an amazing time to read. Most students are on break and don’t have much to do other than just sit back and relax, so what better way to spend your time than escaping with a good book? 

I personally will be going out and enjoying the cold then shuffling inside to cozy up by the fire with hot cocoa and a good book. My phone will be on “Do Not Disturb” and I’ll be unwinding the best way I know how…by escaping reality.