Sports fall 2023 semester in review

GV men’s wrestling makes return after three-decade hiatus in a win over Cornerstone

GVL / Alena Visnovsky

Following a 30-year hiatus, the Grand Valley State University Lakers varsity men’s wrestling team made their long-awaited debut on Wednesday, Nov. 1 with their home opening match against the Cornerstone University Eagles. In their first match back, the Lakers would pull away victorious with a 30-12 win.

After disbanding in 1993, the program was revived with the help of a three million dollar donation from former GVSU wrestling alumni. Former Laker wrestler John Harris (class of 1977) and his wife Diane Harris’ huge donation funded a massive chunk of the revival.

Leading the way for the Lakers is head coach Joey Simcoe. Previously, Simcoe found success at Tiffin University, where over his 11-year span with the Dragons, he earned four Great Midwest Athletic Conference Coach of The Year awards and coached two players to NCAA Division II National Champions, including 15 All-Americans.

Click here to read more from Staff Writer Brady Kemmerling about the return of wrestling as a varsity sport to GVSU.

No. 4 GV Football topples reigning back-to-back national champs in No. 1 Ferris

GVL / Macayla Cramer

Two archrivals and titans of the college football world met on Saturday, Oct. 14 as the No. four ranked Grand Valley State University Lakers (5-1) defeated the reigning national champions, the No. one ranked Ferris State University Bulldogs (4-2), 49-28 at Lubbers Stadium in Allendale, Mich. The game was one of the most highly anticipated matchups of the Anchor-Bone Classic’s rivalry history.

The two programs have now played in 12-straight ranked matchups, as the Lakers won in the 2022 regular season meeting, toppling top-ranked FSU 22-21 in Big Rapids, Mich. before falling at home to the Bulldogs 24-21 in the second round of the playoffs.

Beating the reigning back-to-back national champions has not been easy in the past for the Lakers.

“This rivalry, through the decades, has been very one-sided decade by decade and we wanted to make sure that the 2020s got off to this start,” Lakers’ head coach Scott Wooster said. “We talked about a belief, something just outside of your grasp that you haven’t quite done yet, and that’s what you just saw.”

Click here to read more from Sports Editor Nelson Hubbell on GVSU football’s upset win over Ferris State.

GV volleyball moves to 14-1 after sweeping two GLIAC opponents

GVL / Macayla Cramer

The Grand Valley State University women’s volleyball team (14-1) finished out the weekend with convincing wins against Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) opponents Saginaw Valley State University Cardinals and Wayne State University Warriors in two dominant 3-0 sweeps.

Lakers’ head coach Jason Johnson was impressed with how his team played this weekend with both his offense and defense playing at high levels.

“Our serving and passing was fantastic this weekend. We never allowed either team to feel comfortable; we were always putting them on their heels,” Johnson said.

The Oct. 7 match was a “Battle of the Valleys” against rival SVSU at the GVSU Fieldhouse Arena. The Lakers opened the set fast, taking an 8-2 lead before winning the set 25-16.

The second set began with a tug-of-war battle before the Lakers went on a run. With GVSU leading 10-8, Johnson called a timeout, looking to find the same momentum that the Lakers had in the first set. Coming out of the timeout, redshirt freshman Brianna Stawski had an explosive kill reenergizing the Lakers who went on a 15-7 run, ultimately winning the set 25-15.

Click here to read more from Staff Writer Drew Burlingame on the GVSU volleyball team’s hot start to the season.

GV soccer heads into GLIAC tournament with back-to-back wins

GVL / Macayla Cramer

The Grand Valley State University Lakers women’s soccer team finished their regular season at home with wins against the University of Purdue-Northwest Pride and Davenport University Panthers.

GVSU dominated in both matches, outscoring their opponents by a combined 6-1 as they beat the Pride 4-1 on Sunday, Oct. 29 and the Panthers 2-1 on Thursday, Nov. 2.

Against PNW, the Lakers’ grabbed their first goal and an early lead just 43 seconds into the game from a penalty kick by sophomore defender Kacy Lauer. It was Lauer’s fourth goal this season.

Near the end of the first half, PNW’s Kaci Pampreen knocked in her fifth goal of the season, but the Lakers’ defense stifled the Pride the rest of the way.

In the second half, the Lakers took the lead by scoring three unanswered goals. The second goal of the game was by junior midfielder Ryann Fetty. It was only her second goal this season since playing at Ferris State University the week before. Junior midfielder Ella Kleiver knocked in the third and senior forward Alicia White scored the fourth goal of the game. It was White’s first tally this year.

Click here to read more from Staff Writer Delaney Miller about the GVSU soccer team’s dominant finish to the regular season.