Quick Hits: 1/15

GV wrestling sees further success in their season

The No. 16 ranked Grand Valley State University Lakers’ men’s wrestling team has continued to build momentum by taking victories against unranked Thomas More University (3-2) and the No. 5 ranked Lake Erie College Storm (6-5) in the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Regional Duals for Super Region 3. The competition was hosted at Tiffin University in Tiffin, Ohio.

In a massive 42-15 win over TMU, the Lakers saw three wins by forfeit, as well as wins for Seth Konynenbelt, Trammell Robinson and Jak Keller by pin. Josh Kenny, the No. 3 ranked 174 pounder in the nation, won by injury defeat over TMU’s Liam Schram.

In a 22-21 Lakers victory, the meet against Lake Erie proved to be far more difficult than the ranking would imply. The Storm are extremely battle-tested this season, with eight total meets against top 25 ranked teams, three of which they came out with a win.

After dropping the first four matches, the Lakers came back to win with the help of a major decision by the 184-pound Konynenbelt, who dominated Lake Erie’s Jordan Barnett.

Head coach Joey Simcoe’s squad now moves to 9-2 in the season with two top-ranked 10 wins on the year, positioning themselves for success in the final month of the regular season.

The Lakers will now head to South Euclid, Ohio to play the winless, 0-10, Notre Dame College Falcons on Thursday, Jan. 18 at 5 p.m. 

GV swim & dive sweeps Wayne State with top-ranked men’s and women’s teams

The No. 4 GVSU men’s swimming and diving team took a 180-120 victory over the Wayne State University Warriors on Saturday, Jan. 13 as the No. 6 Lakers’ women won 190.5-109.5.

The Lakers had 11 individual first-place finishes on the women’s side and won the team 200m Medley Relay and 400m Free Relay. The men’s squad also finished first in both team relays and had eight first-place finishes in other categories.

The GVSU women remain undefeated this season after winning all of their meets and invitationals. The men have lost just one game this year, a loss to the top-ranked Indianapolis University team.

The Lakers will return home to take on cross-town rival Davenport University on Friday, Jan. 19 at 5 p.m. in Allendale, Michigan at the GVSU Fieldhouse Pool.

GV men’s and women’s track combine for 35 top 5 finishes at Bob Eubanks Open

With just three meets under their belt, the GVSU men’s and women’s indoor track and field teams continued their impressive season at the Bob Eubanks Open in Allendale, Michigan.

Among first-place finishers for the women’s team, junior sprinter Melia Williams took home the 60m dash with a time of 7.78s, helping to take four of the top five spots in her category. GVSU had several categories where they took a majority of the top five or ten finishes.

The men’s team had similar success, as junior Myles Rhodes won the 60m with a time of 6.89s and GVSU took all of the top five spots in that category. Rhodes also finished first in the 200m at 21.61s.

GVSU had a total of 35 top-five finishes across the board in a dominant showing from both the men’s and women’s teams.

The Lakers will stay at home for the upcoming GVSU Mike Lints Alumni Meet on Saturday, Jan. 20, which will be among their five remaining hosted events.