GV women’s basketball obliterates Davenport 78-38

Courtesy GVSU Athletics

Following last week’s win against the University of Parkside Rangers, Grand Valley State University Lakers’ head into the heart of Grand Rapids to play the Davenport University Panthers.

The Lakers took on the Panthers on Feb 3. coming out on top with a 78-38 win. With this win the Lakers’ are now 18-2 overall and 9-1 in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC).

Beginning in the first quarter, the Lakers started off strong carrying an 11 point lead before the Panthers made their first 3-pointer. Although the Panthers were able to take the last six points of the first quarter, the Laker’s finished scoring almost double Davenport’s points. 

Heading into the second quarter, the Lakers’ led 20-11. They maintained the up-tempo offense and high-pressure defense that was on display in the first quarter. The Panthers offense struggled against the Lakers, scoring just six points in the second quarter.

GVSU held a 37-17 lead heading into halftime with the help of 3-pointers from guards Hadley Miller, Nicole Kamin and Avery Zeinstra.

Beginning the third quarter, the Panthers came out aggressive early, doubling their second-quarter total, but GVSU still finished off a strong third quarter leading 56-29.

To finish off the game in the fourth quarter, GVSU put up another 20-plus point quarter while Davenport mustered just nine points in the final 10 minutes. The Lakers took home yet another dominant win, a 78-38 decision.

GVSU has adapted well after losing their leading scorer, redshirt junior Ellie Droste, for the remainder of the season due to a leg injury. Lexi Plitzuweit, a redshirt sophomore guard, has taken over Droste’s role in the starting lineup for the last two games.

“We’re all praying and rallying around her. She’s a great teammate,” Plitzuweit said.

Plitzuweit has been a key player for the Lakers all season, playing a similar amount of minutes to the starting five all season.

“I’m just thankful for every opportunity to play and I just enjoy playing with my teammates,” said Plitzuweit.

As the second leading scorer of the game, Anderson had 10 points against the Panthers. Anderson also went two for three from 3-point range, leading her team. GVSU head coach Mike Williams expressed that both players have been prepared since they are already playing starter minutes.

“Both (Plitzuweit and Anderson) did a really good job. It’s been really good to see them both accept the increase in minutes and taking more responsibility,” Williams said. “Everybody stepped up and did a good job.” 

The Lakers will play the next two weeks and four games on the road, heading to Detroit to play against Wayne State University at 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 8. They will then take on Saginaw Valley State University at 1 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 10.