Gas or groceries? Students express concern over raising gas prices

GVL / Risho Wooten

Inflation continues to be an issue that many college students are navigating. One of the most frequent expenditures for students is gas.

Gas prices, along with other expenses like groceries, housing and tuition can challenge affordability among the student population. At Grand Valley State University, students are feeling that pressure from the high costs of gas and other expenses are pushing them into making difficult spending decisions.

At the beginning of 2024, gas prices in Michigan were under three dollars a gallon. Now, gas prices across Michigan have risen more than 25 cents in some areas, an all-time high for the year so far according to MLive.

GVL / Risho Wooten

Some students said they are making choices to not participate in events with friends and family to conserve money and have even been faced with choosing between getting gas or groceries.

“Gas is super expensive and makes me not want to go visit my family that lives two hours away,” said Jennifer Bushey, sophomore student at GVSU. “A regular fill up my car is upwards of $80 from empty to full, double the weekly grocery bill. (Gas prices) are way too expensive for something most people in the world use.”

Increasing prices everywhere seem to be a huge concern to students, causing many people to consider taking public transportation more often to avoid paying for gas. Students have access to the Laker Line, which offers students a mode of transportation to the nearest Meijer to the Allendale campus and offers a direct line downtown to the other GVSU campuses in Grand Rapids. The north and south campus Rapid buses (the 37 and the 48) also offer transportation to and from the Allendale campus to off-campus living, apartments and other housing. 

Many students have expressed issues in balancing the costs of gas and groceries on top of tuition, but feel the GVSU meal plans for on-campus food options are financially out of reach. 

“The money saved for my college and expenses is not enough for groceries or other needs, and the school meal plan is too expensive,” said Kayla Boyle, a sophomore at GVSU.

GVL / Risho Wooten

The way gas prices have fluctuated over time has many students concerned. Even if a student doesn’t own a car, the growing epidemic of “shrinkflation” (decrease in sizing, increase/same pricing) in the grocery store also plays a part in expenses and pricing. Students say budgeting has become increasingly difficult. 

“I am afraid of an economic crash to cause them (prices) to increase,” said Boyle.

On-campus job wages may also play a part in affordability. Many on-campus jobs pay below a the living wage of Ottawa County. 

“Getting a job on campus comes with the understanding we will be paid less than a livable wage with little reward,” Boyle said.