Dominant pitching leads GV softball to DH wins over Davenport

GVL / Macayla Cramer

The No. 9 ranked Grand Valley State University softball team welcomed the Davenport University Panthers to Allendale, Michigan in a local rivalry doubleheader on Saturday, April 6 after two doubleheaders were canceled due to rain earlier in the week.

The Lakers pitching staff dominated the Panthers, winning game one 10-1 and game two 2-1 with the help of sophomore pitcher Navaeh Ingram and senior pitcher Ashley Platek.

“I thought our pitching was excellent on both sides of it,” said Lakers’ Head Coach Dana Callihan.

Ingram, who has appeared in six games prior and gave up just six combined runs in those appearances, put up yet another strong performance. This time against the Panthers, she allowed just one earned run and two hits in six innings of play.

Ingram is third in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) in ERA at 1.39, sitting behind two teammates: freshman Kylie Swierkos (0.69) and senior Genesis Eggart (1.21). 

Ingram is allowing less than half as many runs on average compared to last season (2.94).

“From the offseason, all the work that myself, as well as the team, has put in has really helped not only our hitters but also me as well,” Ingram said.

After scoreless play in the first inning and top of the second, Ingram accounted for a run of her own and an RBI in the second inning. Her single got the scoring started for the Lakers, bringing home senior third baseman Megan Koenigshof. This was the start of a five-point GVSU scoring barrage in the second, highlighted by a Morgan Spicer double that scored all three runners in a bases-loaded scenario.

GVL / Macayla Cramer

“It’s fun when we get those bats rolling,” Spicer said. “It allows us to play loose in the field too, giving our pitchers that backup and it’s a great momentum shifter.” 

Spicer ended the game going 3 for 4 with four RBIs and a stolen base. Her fourth RBI came in the sixth where GVSU had another five-run inning.

GVSU ended with a 10-1 victory, as Ingram allowed a home run as the only score she gave up during the game.

The second game of the afternoon was much closer, as the scoring slowed down and the Lakers had to sweat out a 2-1 win.

Platek made her eighth appearance in the circle for the Lakers and struck out three of the four batters she faced in the first inning. This was the start of a dominant pitching performance where Platek allowed just one run across all seven innings of play.

Starting the batting for the Lakers was a bunt single from senior left fielder Hannah Hollister, who then advanced to third on a single from junior shortstop Morgan Spicer. Spicer moved to second after an errant throw from the outfield. Moments later, Spicer and Hollister scored on a double from junior first baseman Kelsey Komorous.

Both teams came out empty-handed in the next handful of innings until Davenport freshman catcher Liv Regenfuss doubled to start the fifth inning. Regenfuss then advanced on a bunt and scored on an infield groundout by senior designated player Kaylee Loehr who made it a one-run game, 2-1.

From there on out, Platek and the Lakers finished the remainder of the game without allowing another run, winning a narrow 2-1 game.

“I love that we have not reached our full potential yet. I know that once we get it goin’ we’re gonna just keep on rolling, it’s scary,” Spicer said. “Right now, everything’s not clicking, but once we get it going there’s huge huge potential.”

Callihan believes that although her squad has plenty of inexperienced players who are still developing, the team’s potential excites her moving forward.

“The intensity, the passion, the drive, the selflessness. I mean, there’s a lot of things, off the field, that people don’t see that is really good about this team,” Callihan said.

GVSU hits the road on Wednesday, April 10 to face the Wayne State University Warriors at 3:30 p.m. before coming back home to play rival Ferris State University on Sunday, April 14 at 1 p.m.

GVL / Macayla Cramer