Quick Hits 4/8

No. 8 GV women’s lacrosse starts season 10-1, wins GLIAC opener over NMU

The No. 8 ranked Grand Valley State University Lakers women’s lacrosse team moved to 9-1 on the season after a dominant win over the Northern Michigan Wildcats in a Great Lakes Intercollegiate Conference (GLIAC) battle.

GVSU then traveled to Minnesota to play Concordia University, St. Paul (6-6, 1-1) on Sunday, April 7 to get their tenth win of the year. 

GVSU has won six straight games after losing to the current No. 3 ranked Maryville University Saints by just one point. Their average margin of victory this season sits at just over eight points per game. They average over 14 goals per game while allowing less than six.

Seniors and top goal-scorers Maddy Champagne (26), Sydney Stone (25) and Hailey Crittenden (23) lead the team and sit top 10 in the GLIAC in goals. 

Freshman Midfielder Delaney Smith has burst onto the scene in her first year with the Lakers as the conference leader in assists (19), adding 16 goals of her own. Smith is a Grand Rapids, Michigan native and attended Forest Hills Central High School before coming to GVSU.

In the net for the Lakers is junior goalkeeper Kaylyn Cater, who leads the GLIAC in goals allowed average with just 5.72 per game in 440 minutes of play. The next closest player, NMU’s Lauren Esposito, has allowed 9.38 per game. No other player has allowed less than 10 goals per game. Cater is backed up by Sarah Krause, who has a GAA of 5.64 per game in 160 minutes of action.

The Lakers will play the remaining four of their remaining five games in their schedule at home in Allendale, Michigan. They will travel for just one game, playing in Grand Rapids, Michigan against Davenport University.

GV track & field hosts GVSU Early Meet, first home meet of the outdoor season

GVSU hosted their first outdoor competition of the season in track and field on Friday, April 5 and Saturday, April 6. The Lakers welcomed athletes from West Michigan schools in Hope College, Calvin University, Davenport University, Cornerstone University, Aquinas College and a handful of out of state colleges and universities.

Highlighting the day for the GVSU women was sophomore Destini Dorkins placing first in the 100 Meter Hurdles, senior Sydney Nesbitt placing first in the 800 Meter Run and junior Shelby Ulven placing first in the Hammer Throw.

For the GVSU men, freshman Andrew Pizzico placed first in the 200 Meter Dash, Joshua Hurt placed first in the 110 Meter Hurdles, sophomore Colton Emeott placed first in the Pole Vault, senior Shane Byrne placed first in the Hammer Throw and sophomore Preston Nichols played first in the Javelin throw.

The Lakers will host the GVSU Al Owens Classic on Friday, April 19 and 20 as well as the GVSU Extra Weekend on Saturday, April 27 as their remaining home meets of the outdoor regular season.