How to “spice up” your summer

We are rolling into the Sunday of the summer a.k.a. August. With August in full swing, summer starts to get repetitive, and even boring sometimes. I am here to help you make the most out of the rest of your summer before the school year starts and the weather starts to cool down. 

In the beginning of summer I feel so ambitious. I am going to go to the gym daily, cook meals from home, and go on two mile walks every night. This is easy to write down and dream of doing it but physically getting yourself to do your goals may be harder. For me, I have been struggling to stay on top of things I wanted to do this summer. August is the final stretch of the summer and my final month to accomplish the things I wanted to do. 

My first suggestion is to make a running list of things you still want to do. This can be a bucket list or a goals list. On my personal goal list, I have to go on more hikes, practice self care and to get off of my phone or electronics more often.

Now look at your list and narrow down your goal. Instead of saying I want to go on more hikes, narrow down your goal to “I will hike one mile before I go to bed three times a week.” Now your goal is not only more obtainable but it is now measurable. Now you can keep track of your goal and make sure that you are successful in achieving it.

As for a bucket list, that can really spice summer up. Summer gets repetitive. There are only so many days that you want to go to the beach, go downtown, visit home, or tan by the pool. Certain days you catch yourself laying in bed because you are bored and don’t know what to do. Then when school season comes around you find yourself wondering why you didn’t do more over the summer. Bucket lists can be a great way to not only accomplish your summer goals but also to ensure that summer never gets “boring.” 

I love to explore new places such as new trails to hike on, coffee shops to hang out with friends, and cute places to thrift. I like to ask on my Instagram stories for suggestions of places to go or sights to see from other Grand Valley State University students and narrow down ones that I find interesting. I also like to challenge myself to get out of my comfort zone and try something new. For me, this was my new hobby of pickleball. My boyfriend randomly won a set from our apartment complex and I had wanted to play but had no idea how to. Now, we go almost nightly to practice our pickleball skills. 

My summer days have been especially repetitive since I am working a nine-to-five internship. I am trying to help myself stay active and try to spice up my work from home days by going on 15 minute walks during my lunch break, working outside if possible and finding new coffee shops to work at. By doing these things, I am changing up my everyday routine and schedule. I also feel more productive at my internship by changing where I am working. I am more attentive and it gives me something to look forward to. 

This is my biggest tip and you will never feel bored: give yourself something to look forward to.  If you don’t want to explore something alone, invite a friend. This can be your best friend or someone from a class you have always wanted to hang out with. This is a perfect opportunity to meet new people or spend more time with your closest friends. Summer is only boring if you let it be boring. Make a mood board on Pinterest of new outfits, recipes, or any other inspiration you need to spice up your summer. Summer is all about what you make out of it so have fun and soak up all the warm weather before Michigan’s cruel winter hits.