Things I wish I knew sooner in college

I cannot believe I am entering my final year at Grand Valley State University. Although everyone has their own unique college experience, I think being a part of the class of 2024 came with a lot of adjustments and new experiences different than most students have had in prior years. I wish someone had told me these tips and tricks to navigating my first years at GVSU.

With my first semester of school being in the fall of 2020, I experienced a full year of school with online classes. This wasn’t a completely foreign concept since I had to finish my senior year of high school online. The one thing that made online college courses most difficult was the disconnect between my professors and my peers since I did not know them before being online as I did in high school.

If I could redo my first year, I would attend office hours and contact my professors via email. I have gotten to know many of my online professors recently from online calls, and it made me realize how professors are equally eager to meet their students. I have received numerous insights for future jobs, internships, class recommendations and professional development opportunities from building relationships with my professors. Every educator, regardless of the field you are studying, has so much advice they are willing to share to help you. It is crucial not to pass up the opportunity to connect with your professors during your first years at GVSU. 

Another piece of advice I can offer, and something I wish I had known sooner, is that wanting to change your major is perfectly fine. I finished my entire first year knowing I didn’t want to continue on the path that I was on. I thought it might be very difficult to change majors and that no one was going through the same situation. Once I figured out the available resources, I realized it wasn’t problematic, and I was relieved to have a new schedule with classes better suited for me.

One resource I used was going onto the MyPath section of Banner, the best tool that many students are unaware exists. It shows your current standing and lets you see how close you are to completing a major. A great feature when changing majors that I used was using the “what if” section. It shows you a breakdown of what classes you still need to take based on any major you decide to go into. The ultimate takeaway is that if you are unhappy with your major, don’t hesitate to look at a new hypothetical schedule with a potential new major.

Lastly, if there is something you have always wanted to do, such as a sport, club, or any activity, there is a good chance that GVSU has something for you. I highly recommend stepping out of your comfort zone and joining an extracurricular activity. One method I have used is to give things a chance for about two weeks, and after that, if you think it’s not fit for you, you can always switch things up. In my experience, by the end of the two weeks, I have always been glad to have tried something new. I have met some of my closest friends through clubs and intramurals. It may seem like college will last forever, but coming from a senior, it went by faster than I thought, and I will miss how accessible it is to join sports and clubs once I graduate. 

Beginning college is definitely an intimidating experience, but with the help of some of these tips, I can assure you that you will be off on the right foot and set for the best years of your life.