From last to first, University of Colorado football earns its way to the top

Whether you are a fan of the University of Colorado football team or not, it has been hard to avoid seeing trending headlines about this team. There has been a lot of talk surrounding this team, and many think this team shouldn’t be trending on all forms of media since they are overhyped just because they have their new coach Deion Sanders and his three sons. Sanders is a former professional football and baseball player with incredible experience and was inducted into the Football Hall of Fame in 2011. Regardless of his accomplishments, I have to give credit to Sanders since he has made the Colorado football team the center of attention for all sports talk.

In the beginning, I was tired of seeing Colorado football trending and thought it would burn out. Not too long after this, I entirely changed my mind and realized this team is interesting to follow and is doing everything right to make it the most intriguing team in the world of college football.

Last season, the Colorado team only had one win over the entirety of the season leaving them ranked dead last in their division. This season they started 3-0, landing them their ranking of 19th in the country. Surrounding these wins, the team has experienced more publicity than ever. Their games are selling out with ticket prices skyrocketing, fans are storming the field to celebrate and they are the talk of the sports world. The team even had two famous rappers, Lil Wayne and Offset, walk them out to their games and hang out with the team in the locker room to celebrate. Other famous rappers, NBA stars, and even Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson came out to see this team play. This shows the impact this team has had on the public.

I have never seen a school get publicity like this for regular season games, especially a team that historically has never had many followers outside of their college community.  Sanders’ sons, Shilo and Sheduer, have been leading this team on the field and off the field as well. They are doing an excellent job on social media to promote this team and capture some of the team’s inside moments like what goes on in the locker room and pre-game rituals, which allows everyone to get a closer look at this team.

Colorado football is gaining rapid interest and has so many new fans wanting them to win to complete the perfect story of going from last to first place. This was seen during their previous game versus their rival Colorado State because people all over the country reported watching the Colorado game until roughly three in the morning as it went into double overtime. I actually found myself staying up late into the night to watch the game even though I have never watched a Colorado game in my life. The next day, reports came out that the game had “9.3 million viewers to make it the most-watched late-night college football game ever on ESPN.” If they keep winning, they may be on track to break another record.

From breaking records, partying with celebrities post-game, having the highest ticket sales and a new country-wide fan base, it’s hard to deny that the University of Colorado is doing something right. I know I will be tuning into their next game along with many others to see if this unique story continues to unfold in front of us live.