What is ATHENA, and why is it so important to women like me?

ATHENA is an affinity group of the Grand Rapids Chamber that provides women professionals in West Michigan to grow in their community and be celebrated for their successes. As someone who has attended numerous events with ATHENA, I can tell you that they are no joke! They are all about uplifting women professionals in Grand Rapids and encouraging them to take on leadership roles. 

In addition to this, they strive to cultivate a culture where development is at the center. This past week was the ATHENA awards celebration where people and companies were celebrated for their work in the community. The ATHENA Leadership Award, ATHENA Young Professional Leadership Award and ATHENA Organizational Leadership Award were all given out to women making big impacts in their communities. I think it is so important to have something like this in any community like Grand Rapids. While women have become a larger force in the workplace, it is important to celebrate when women take on leadership roles in their organizations. 

It also helps to connect women from different companies and corporations, which provides a greater opportunity for networking to take place and for ideas to come together. As someone who grew up quite introverted and quiet, ATHENA has helped me become a better networker and has encouraged me to help others as well. I think everyone deserves the opportunity to learn how to properly network and connect with people in the community. While school provides you with the education that you need for your prospective careers, it doesn’t always teach you how to apply and present yourself. 

I heard about ATHENA through connections I made at a networking event at Huntington Bank. The original intent of that event was for us to practice networking, and while I certainly wasn’t perfect at it, and probably a bit awkward, I made connections that have helped me get to where I am today. It is important to do your best at these events and just be yourself. People in the workforce are generally understanding of individuals who are just starting out. 

I’ve also found that many people want to help you grow and succeed. I feel like a lot of times people think that the “real” world is this big scary place where everyone is fending for themselves and leaving people out to dry. In all honesty, the right people, in the right place, are going to help you succeed. It might not be at their company specifically, but they will help you make the necessary connections. If not, then find someone new because I can guarantee someone wants to help you reach your full potential.

For me, ATHENA has been so helpful in working with me to build my program here at Grand Valley State University. They have inspired me to start a program in athletics that focuses on helping female athletes connect with mentors in Grand Rapids that will help them grow their professional skills. While it is still a work in progress, it has been so nice to see so many women willing to take time out of their busy schedules to help mentor the next generation of employees.