Quick hits: GVSU hockey’s ‘Pack the George’ vs. MSU, new basketball transfer, new Athletics hire

Lanthorn Sports

GVSU men’s DII hockey to host ‘Pack the George’ event vs. MSU

Before every season, there are certain games that are circled on their calendars. Most of the time, it’s against their rivals. Whether it’s Yankees/Red Sox, Lakers/Celtics, Wolverines/Buckeyes or Red Wings/Avalanche, the intensity is always heightened. 

For the Grand Valley State men’s Division II club hockey team, their rival has always been Michigan State’s hockey team. Luckily for fans, that matchup will be held Friday, Jan. 26, at 9 p.m. at the Georgetown Ice Center.

The hockey team has been promoting the event, selling $5 T-shirts that say “Pack the George” on the front in an attempt to boost attendance. The team has also asked students who are planning on attending to wear white to fit their “White Out” theme. 

This year’s team is currently having a successful season, posting a 19-3-2 overall record (11-2-1 at home) with less than a month left before playoffs begin. Along with that, they’re currently riding a nine-game winning streak.

Tickets will be free to all GVSU students who bring their student ID. 

GVSU men’s basketball signs new transfer for next season

The goal of every team is to get better for tomorrow, today. That goal is looking more attainable for the Grand Valley State men’s basketball team after they signed transfer Shaquan McArthur to their 2018-19 season roster.

Nicknamed “Shake,” McArthur is a 6-foot-5-inch, 205-pound sophomore forward from Embry-Riddle, an NCAA Division II school in the Sunshine State Conference. The Florida native is enrolled at GVSU for the winter semester and will have two years of eligibility remaining with the Lakers.

During his freshman year with at Embry-Riddle, “Shake” averaged 12.4 points per game while shooting 52 percent from the floor in only 25 games. 

A native of Lakeland, Florida, McArthur played for Lakeland High School under head coach Deron Collins. He was a four-time first-team all-district selection and was named team MVP all four years for the Dreadnaughts, averaging 17 points, seven rebounds and six assists per game for his career.

GVSU Athletics hires new director of marketing, promotions 

Grand Valley State Athletics announced Monday, Jan. 22, that David Wynkoop had been named the athletic department’s marketing and promotions director. 

Wynkoop’s job description involves him overseeing all aspects of the GVSU marketing and promotions department. Those aspects include building fan engagement in and out of home games, developing brand awareness, implementing game-day promotions and assisting with sponsors within the community. In addition, he will develop and implement special fan events to enhance the game-day experience. 

Wynkoop most recently spent two years as the director of marketing at Division I Wright State, where he was responsible for all aspects of the marketing and promotions of WSU athletics in the Horizon League. Wynkoop led a department that was responsible for prospecting, selling, fulfilling and managing relationships for corporate partners and that handled all digital marketing efforts. 

In addition, he was the lead creator and designer for social media content, ticket collateral, newspaper ads, billboards, video boards and sport posters. Prior to Wright State, Wynkoop spent two years as an assistant director of fan development at Central Florida University and one year as a marketing assistant at the University of Iowa.