Arts & Entertainment Year in Review 2023-24

GV students show faculty appreciation with handwritten letters

GVL | Sam Nelson

To celebrate GVSU’s annual Faculty and Staff Campaign on Feb. 14, students had the opportunity to write letters of appreciation for their favorite faculty members. Hosted by GVSU’s Development Office, the event brought droves of students to the Kirkhof Center to show support for faculty and staff that often go unrecognized for their efforts. 

Cheyenne Koenigsknecht, a GVSU, said she chose to write a letter to thank her criminal justice professor for always checking in on the well-being of his students. Koenigsknecht said her professor’s patience and attitude contribute to a positive learning environment for her and her students. 

“They (GVSU professors) work so hard, and they don’t have to care about us, but they do,” Koenigsknecht said. “They always look out for us to make sure we’re getting the most out of college, and I really appreciate that about all of our professors here.”

Click here to read Jackson Hicks’ story.

GV production of “The Birds” highlights morality, paranoia

GVL | Ella McClintock

From Feb. 22 to 25, Theatre at Grand Valley State University presented their production of “The Birds” at the Linn Maxwell Keller Black Box Theatre in the Haas Center for Performing Arts. 

The production featured a specifically designed seating arrangement for attendees that surrounded the stage, and created an immersive experience. Sydney Hartman, the play’s assistant director and student at GVSU, said this allows the audience to sympathize with the characters as they are trapped in the house.

“Their structure of society is gone, so the way they act and fight for things (is) immensely different,” Hartmann said. “I want them (audiences) to think about how far they would actually go to get the things they want when all bets are off.”

To read the story from Lee Marentette, click here.

GV dancers use spring break for improvement at ACDA Conference

Courtesy | ACDA

27 students in Grand Valley State University’s Dance Program kicked off their spring break by attending and performing at the annual American College Dance Association’s (ACDA) East-Central Conference. The conference, which was held from Feb. 28 to March 2 at the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, featured classes and performance opportunities for college dance students.

GVSU brings dancers to the conference every year to take a variety of classes from a diverse array of teachers and present GVSU pieces in showcases. The conference provided students with a variety of classes that specialized in expanding their movements, styles and performances. With the goal of supporting and establishing dance at the collegiate level, ACDA instructors presented dancers with the opportunity to receive professional feedback on their choreography and technique.

“I think it’s important to realize that dance is art and not everyone is always going to understand art,” said Julian McKenzie, a senior dance major at GVSU . “My goal was to make something that was different and thought-provoking, which I think we accomplished.” 

To read the rest of Rachael Gage’s story, click here.

GV hosts award-winning pianist for presentation, performance of Beethoven

GVL | Dylan Hoffius

Vietnamese pianist Nhi Luong lectured and performed Beethoven’s Piano Sonata No. 27 in E-minor, Op. 90 at Grand Valley State University’s Sherman van Solkema Recital Hall on Jan. 11. 

Luong began the evening by speaking on the history and composition of the sonata. Demonstrating sections of the piece during her lecture, those in attendance were able to follow along to her presentation with printed sheet music. Luong also took time after her presentation to answer any questions from the audience, which consisted primarily of undergraduate GVSU piano students. 

“GVSU was the best audience that any performer could have asked for,” Luong said. “Everyone gave me such warm and welcoming feelings, and the genuine curiosity and thoughtful questions made the interaction truly special.”