Arts & Entertainment Briefs 4/8

Holocaust survivors film screening

The Frederik Meijer Honors College is bringing guest lecturer Dr. Simone Gigliotti to Grand Valley State University’s Pew Campus on April 10 to speak about supporting holocaust survivors through film. 

In collaboration with the Joseph Stevens Freedom Endowment and the Jewish Federation of Grand Rapids, the lecture will examine the efforts of several Jewish organizations in their mission to support Holocaust survivors and refugees through a visual medium. 

Titled “Help me to get home: Films, Fundraising and Europe’s Holocaust Survivors,” the lecture will examine Gigliotti’s recent book project “Restless Archive: The Holocaust and the Cinema of the Displaced,” as well as visual material from 1933-1949 that was used for refuge promotion and rescue efforts. 

The lecture will take place at the Loosemore Auditorium in the Richard M. DeVos Center on GVSU’s Pew Campus at 7 p.m. on April 10. 

African Student Council to host trivia night

Grand Valley State University’s African Student Council is hosting a trivia night on April 12 from 4:30-8 p.m. in Room 2270 of the Kirkhof Center.

Students will have the opportunity to win prizes, mingle with their peers and learn more about the diverse cultures of Africa, as well as the upcoming African Ball on April 21. 

Students are encouraged to RSVP for the trivia night through LakerLink.

Native American Student Association to host two-day powwow

Alongside Grand Valley State University’s Office of Multicultural Affairs and Division of Inclusion and Equity, the Native American Student Association will host a “Celebrating All Walks of Life” powwow from April 13 to 14 at the GVSU Fieldhouse Arena.

The powwow will feature traditional Native American song and dance, crafts and food, and is open to all within the GVSU community.

Those interested in attending can RSVP on LakerLink.