Arts & Entertainment Briefs 3/18

GV to host empowering dance event

As part of the “Feel the Fire: An Explosive Dance Experience” event on March 21, members of Grand Valley State University’s Ignite Dance Company will have the opportunity to perform for the GVSU community. Featuring performances from Ignite Dance Company and other GVSU dance groups, the event will highlight the numerous talented student dancers on campus. 

According to LakerLink, Ignite Dance Company gives dancers an opportunity “to feel confident, comfortable and empowered through the art of dance.”

“Feel the Fire,” which is free to the public, will take place at the Cook-Dewitt Center on GVSU’s Allendale’s campus from 7-9 p.m. Attendees are encouraged to RSVP for the event on LakerLink.

GV student composers to compete in art-inspired music competition 

Student composers in Grand Valley State University’s New Music Ensemble will perform original compositions based on Professor Bill Hosterman’s “Full Circle: Teaching, Creating, and Curating” art exhibition on March 21. The performance will take place alongside Hosterman’s exhibition in the Haas Center for Performing Arts Gallery. The 60-second compositions will be judged and voted on by attendees for a cash prize.

The event’s reception begins at 6 p.m., with the competition portion starting at 7 p.m. The event is free to the public, with attendees encouraged to RSVP.

GV to host Black fashion show

Model Entertainment, a modeling and fashion student organization at Grand Valley State University, is hosting their annual Black Excellence Fashion Show on March 22.

The fashion show will take place in the Kirkhof Center’s Grand River Room from 7-10 p.m., with food and other entertainment also provided for attendees.