Arts & Entertainment Briefs 2/26

GV Concert Band scheduled to perform

The Grand Valley State University Concert Band will perform at the Louis Armstrong Theatre in the Haas Center for Performing Arts on Monday, Feb. 26.

The performance will be led by the band’s conductor John Martin, associate professor and director of GVSU’s Athletic Bands.

The free concert is open to all and will begin at 7:30 p.m.

Wealthy Theatre to show “Shaft”

To close out Black History Month, Wealthy Theatre is screening the 1971 blaxploitation film “Shaft” on Tuesday, Feb. 27.

The film follows Detective John Shaft, portrayed by Richard Roundtree, in his fight against and eventual partnership with the mob. Doors for the screening open at 7 p.m., with a start time of 8 p.m. 

Tickets for the screening are available for purchase online.

Butterflies return to Meijer Gardens

Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park is bringing butterflies back to their Lena Meijer Tropical Conservatory. Running from March 1 to April 30, Fred & Dorothy Fichter’s “Butterflies Are Blooming” exhibition will host an array of tropical butterflies, with more than 60 species in the exhibit. According to the Meijer Gardens website, “Butterflies Are Blooming” is currently “the largest temporary tropical butterfly exhibition in the United States.”

Tickets for the exhibition are available for purchase online. Students with a university ID can get their tickets at a discounted price.