News briefs 11/6/17

GVSU to participate in Earth Science Week with lecture series

Grand Valley State University will host a lecture series in recognition of international Earth Science Week that will feature alumni presenters. From Monday, Nov. 6, to Friday, Nov. 10, there will be presentations on topics related to earth science in Manitou Hall. 

The presentations are sponsored by the Department of Geology. The full schedule of presentations can be found at www.gvsu.edu/gvnow/2017/gvsu-earth-science-week-lecture-series-to-feature-10227.htm

GVSU Team Against Bias to hold bias reporting workshop

The Grand Valley State University Team Against Bias will hold a bias incident reporting training workshop Wednesday, Nov. 8, at 3:30 p.m. in the Kirkhof Center, Room 2259. The event is open to the public and is designed to educate attendees on the mechanisms GVSU has in place to report instances of bias on campus. 

The training includes discussion on ensuring that participants are conscious of their right to free expression on campus while maintaining an understanding of bias incidents and their effect on the community.

‘Dolphin Tank’ entrepreneurship competition to take place at GVSU

Grand Valley State University will host the “Dolphin Tank” entrepreneurship competition Thursday, Nov. 9, at 1 p.m. in the L. William Seidman Center on the Pew Campus. The event is co-sponsored by the Michigan Women’s Foundation and Springboard Enterprises and is a variation of the TV show “Shark Tank.” 

The event allows participants to plan and pitch business ideas to a panel of judges. Winners can receive a grand prize up to $10,000.

Office of Sustainability Practices searching for volunteers for ‘Zero Waste Football Game’

The Grand Valley State University Office of Sustainability Practices is in need of volunteers for its “Zero Waste” event taking place at the GVSU football game versus Tiffin University Saturday, Nov. 11, at noon. The Zero Waste initiative is designed to ensure that trash items are disposed of correctly (recycling, compost, etc.). 

Volunteers are expected to speak with visitors and make sure that correct waste procedures are being followed. Volunteer hours can be tracked in Service Tracker, and the event is LIB 100- and 201-approved. Those interested in volunteering should email [email protected].

College of Health Professions to hold programs showcase

The Grand Valley State University College of Health Professions will hold a majors and programs showcase Wednesday, Nov. 8, at 6 p.m. in the Cook-DeVos Center for Health Sciences Hager Auditorium. The event gives students interested in the fields of medical practices the opportunity to explore various programs in the college. Both undergraduate and graduate programs will be featured.