GVSU Basketball adds more talent with Adrian transfer Jordan Harris

Courtesy of GVSULakers.com

Josh Carlson, Staff Writer

The Grand Valley State University Men’s Basketball team announced that they have once again gotten another talented transfer for the 2020-2021 season in 6’1 former Adrian College guard Jordan Harris.

Coach Ric Wesley adds even more great talent and character with the former Adrian guard, who will be joining the Lakers with one year of eligibility left and brings the resume to prove he will make it count.

The jump to the next level will be smooth for someone like Harris. At Adrian, Harris scored in abundance, becoming a 1,000-point scorer, averaging 22.2 points per game in his final season, and posting several high scoring games with a season-high of 40 points against Hiram College.

In his junior year with Adrian, he proved to be more than just someone who can score the basketball as well, accumulating 110 rebounds, and 99 assists, along with his 600 points for the season.

Choosing GVSU was a natural choice for Harris, though he was unable to  physically visit  the campus due to COVID-19. Although he was contacted by other schools, the Lakers coaching staff proved it should be his new home.

“Coach (Wesley) was on me. He is one of the main reasons why I picked Grand Valley. During the recruiting process, he was the one calling and reaching out to me,” Harris said. “A lot of the time, you usually talk to the assistants, but he called me, my mom, and told us about the opportunities I’d have there, and he showed it very, very well. I’m definitely excited to work with coach (Wesley).”

Coach Wesley feels the same way about the incoming transfer.

“Jordan is a great kid and can really shoot. Everyone we talked to had high praise for his game on and off the court,” Wesley said. “He will be a great addition to our team, both on the court and in the locker room. He’s a seasoned veteran with postseason experience, and we think he’ll fit in nicely.”

Harris looks forward to making his final year of eligibility count with the Lakers.

“My goal for this upcoming season is to come in and listen, you know, be a sponge,” Harris said. “A lot of the players have played at that level, I’m coming in and haven’t played at that level, but I do know a lot of basketball. So I just wanna come in and learn, observe, and find my role on the team, and play my role to the best that I can. I just want to win, and I know our team has that same type of mindset too. I know I only have one more year left, and it seems like a short period of time, but I know the type of player that I am and the type of person that I am.”

Harris didn’t let the quarantine stop his drive for getting better every day. He worked out every day–sometimes even twice a day–proving the Lakers are adding more than just talent and continuing to grow a great culture for the program further.

“I was outside every day, no matter what it was; I didn’t take any days off. I feel like this time was the time to see what your real character is.” Harris said. “A lot of people took their time for granted, sat down, and stayed in. But for me, I was outside, and I wanted to get better every single day, and that’s what I was doing.”

Harris will be joining three other signees, another talented transfer guard JK Lewis, and the two incoming freshmen, Ethan Alderink, and Trevon Gunter.

“(JK Lewis) texted me when I committed, telling me congratulations and that he was ready to get to work with me, and I’m excited to play with him,” Harris said. “I’ve watched a lot of film on (JK), and he’s very good, fast, so I’m excited, and I’m going to do whatever it takes to win games.”

With the additions of the four new signees, returning All-American Jake Van Tubbergen, and other key players, the Lakers seem poised for a great turnout in the tough GLIAC conference, another GLIAC South Division Championship, and even more.

Jordan Harris can’t wait to be a part of it.