Laker Life Briefs

RecFest goes online

With much of Grand Valley going online for the fall semester, Club Sports and the Department of Recreation and Wellness have decided to host their annual celebration of the ways Lakers can get engage with exercise virtually on LakerLink. The remote RecFest, which will take place on Sunday, Sept. 13 from 4-7 p.m., will offer students a way to get connected with these campus resources despite the COVID-19 pandemic.

The event will be split into four different categories: Fitness Services from 4-4:30 p.m., Student Wellness from 4:30-5 p.m., Outdoor Adventures from 5 -5:30 p.m and Sports Programs from 5:30-6 p.m. For the final hour of the event, the fair will be live with the nearly 50 Club Sports at Grand Valley Valley State University. Those interested in attending can register online at gvsu.edu/rec/recfest.

Students discuss Youth in Politics

On Wednesday, Sept. 9, the Frederick Meijer Honors College is hosting a virtual discussion about civic engagement and running for office at a young age. The conversation will featureĀ  Student Senate President Eric-John Szczepaniak, who is currently a candidate for the position of Alpine County Clerk, as well as GVSU junior Katherine Parker, a current candidate for Allendale Township Trustee. The event will be moderated by Grand Rapids Mayor and Honors College faculty member Rosalynn Bliss.

The event will be hosted at 7 p.m. on Zoom. Those interested can find the link on the event page on Facebook or on GVSU’s event calendar.

Allendale Campus hosts Scavenger Hunt

This September, Grand Valley State University has put together a free outside activity that doesn’t require participants to get closer than six feet to each other: a campus scavenger hunt. Open to students, faculty and staff alike, those interested can register for access to the activity at gvsu.edu/rec/outdoors. The hunt consists of QR codes hidden across the Allendale campus, with each code leading participants to online content leading to the location of the next clue.

The hunt is already on, and the Department of Recreation and Wellness plans on updating the course with new clue locations and themes every couple weeks. Those who enjoyed a previous run of the game can sign up again to play the updated versions, so long as they register for each individual hunt.