Hundreds of GV students vote in 2020 elections on campus

GVL / Meghan Landgren

The line outside of the Kirkhof Center was out the door Tuesday afternoon, as hundreds of Grand Valley State students waited patiently to play their role in America’s democracy during the 2020 elections.

GVSU students made their presence felt this election from right on campus, as a representative from the university projected that over 400 students voted in Allendale on campus on November 3rd.

Many Lakers are holding their vote in high regard, as students like senior Derek Jakielek view Michigan as a key state in this evening’s races.

“I think the most important part of it is that what people actually want a say in how we get governed, especially in Michigan being a swing state,” Jakielek said.

There seems to be a common misconception regarding college students and voting, as many feel as if their vote doesn’t matter. 

Jakielek, who waited more than two hours in line to vote, is one student looking to disprove that misconception.

“Some people say your vote doesn’t matter or your vote does matter, I always think that every vote matters, but in Michigan every vote really matters,” Jakielek said.

Students could vote right in the basement of Kirkhof, as long as they were in line by 5 p.m. on Election Day.

Many polling places across the country are open until 8 p.m., and Jakielek wishes GVSU’s voting location was one of those places.

“I’m glad there was a spot on campus,” Jakielek said. “I do wish it was a little bit earlier cause a lot of people wanted to get in line, and I think 5 o’clock is a little bit early.”

Jakielek knows his vote can only do so much, but in these stressful times, he feels it’s important to make his voice heard in the elections.

“ To have proper representation with the whole thing with the electoral college, I think it’s really important, especially in the time of the pandemic,” Jakielek said.