Laker Life Briefs

Students lead charity at the Cook Carillon Tower

On Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of this week, Nov. 18-20, booths will be set up under the Cook Carillon Tower selling stickers and buttons with designs relating to current social and sociopolitical issues. All proceeds from the fundraiser will be donated to the For The Gworls (FTG) fund.

FTG is a collective that raises housing and medical funds for Black trans people. The COVID-19 pandemic has led to these services becoming even more difficult to secure, and FTG is looking to make up the difference.

This campus fundraiser, which will last from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., is being hosted by the GVSU Young Democratic Socialists of America. Those looking for more information about the event can contact the GVSU YDSA through their page on Laker Link or their email, [email protected].

Virtual Speed Friending connects first-year students

COVID-19 has made this fall semester a difficult time to make new friends, especially those who like friends who follow distanced national health guidelines during a global pandemic. First year or transfer students might be interested in joining Grand Valley State University’s “Virtual Speed Friending” event on Wednesday, Nov. 18.

From 7-8 p.m., the Residence Housing Association and Campus Activities Board are teaming up to present a casual night of games and conversation over Zoom. Those interested in the event can RSVP on Laker Link at gvsu.campuslabs.com/engage.

Hauenstein Center discusses America’s “new normal”

As the second wave of COVID-19 rages across the U.S. just in time for the holiday season, many find themselves wondering “when will our lives get back to normal?” On Thursday, Nov. 19, Grand Valley’s Hauenstein Center is collaborating with the Gerald R. Ford Presidential Library and Museum to gather a panel of West Michigan leaders to discuss these recent shifts in our economy and society.

The event will last from 7-9 p.m., and will be hosted virtually over Zoom. Those interested in attending the panel discussion can RSVP on the Hauenstein Center’s website at www.gvsu.edu/hc.