The four-day workweek can help sustainability, positivity and productivity

I remember hearing about a four-day workweek for the first time when I was in middle school. My teacher asked us to have a discussion with our desk neighbors if we would want this since the topic was trending at the time. You can assume how this conversation went in a room full of sixth graders. As a kid, the only thing I thought of was another day out of school and hanging out with my friends. Now that I am older, I realize there is so much more to the four-day workweek than just getting to be at home more often than not because it can change the whole dynamic of your week. It’s something that has been on my mind a lot lately since I will be looking for my first full-time job very soon.

As I am starting to get more experiences in the work world, such as part-time jobs and internships, I realize I am starting to develop likes and dislikes, along with preferences, for how I think I will be most successful. Many styles of work are seen today such as remote, hybrid and in-person. However, one thing that isn’t as normalized currently is the four-day workweek. I think this should be an option for all employees when they create their schedules since it can reduce stress, increase productivity, increase employee satisfaction and reduce absenteeism. Although it may not work for everyone or all companies, giving the option should be normalized since everyone’s work style is different. 

A four-day work week would involve slightly longer hours over the four days you work. However, getting a full day off on Friday is something that appeals to many people. One less day of commuting to work and spending it with friends or family can be the balance many people want to see. Managing work-life balance is something that is becoming very important in the younger generations and workplaces today. People tend to miss out on many life experiences because the majority of individuals have many obligations outside of work such as raising children, attending school and doing extracurriculars. This scheduling allows for both work and life to be balanced more easily without the added stress. We have all had weeks that feel like they are longer than others, which makes us all feel burnt out. When we are burnt out we tend to lose focus, make mistakes and work slower. This is lousy for the business and for yourself because this would lead to wasted time and wasted work hours. Burnout could be limited or reduced by only having to work four days per week and could keep employees at their best physically and mentally. 

From a management perspective, it can bring in a wider talent pool and increase the attractiveness of a company. If a business moves to a four-day workweek, money that would be spent on facility and building costs could also be saved. This could contribute to a more sustainable future. With many new sustainability efforts and practices, this could be a major change in a positive direction if many businesses follow in each other’s footsteps with a four-day workweek. It also shows that a company is willing to be progressive and flexible with its employees, which will continue to keep a great work environment. 

It wouldn’t be fair to only talk about the positives since many people think it could tear apart the business world. There is a chance that the effects and happiness could be short-lived, and after a while, it won’t seem as great. Also, some businesses need availability on certain days, or the hours will not work in their schedule. These are all things to consider when thinking of a four-day workweek.

However, I think the positives outweigh the negatives, and without giving the four-day workweek a real chance, we will never have the opportunity to discover the impact it will have on many lives.