Mental health is health

Even though World Mental Health Day was on Oct. 10, the conversation about mental health should always be at the front of everyone’s mind. Mental health is real, and it is essential to prioritize no matter what time of year it is.

Especially around midterms, you need to make sure you are taking care of yourself. Around test-taking time, we, as students, tend to neglect self-care. You need to ensure you are sleeping, at least, seven hours a night at a routine time. Even when you have a lot of studying, you need to be conscious of your health, physically and mentally. Not sleeping enough can impact your overall health negatively. Instead of staying up all night to finish a paper due the next morning, try to pace your paper out a few days before. One day, write one page, and keep that process up until you finish. Being on top of deadlines and completing things ahead of time can help mitigate your stress and improve your sleeping patterns.

As the weather gets colder, it gets easier to want to stay inside. If you can, take a 10-minute walk in the sun, you can drastically help your general mental health. Get some vitamin D and get some steps in. Light exercise, like walking, is perfect for getting your body moving. This also can help clear your mind. Listen to your favorite podcast, or music, or the sounds of nature around you. Do what works best for you.

It is okay to ask for help. You are not weak, emotional or annoying in any way, shape, or form, for asking for help. Help can include talking it out with a friend or family member, or going to therapy, or starting medication. Getting back to feeling like yourself may involve several things, and deciding to seek help may be intimidating, but it is an empowering and vital step to regain your sense of self.

Years ago, I would have never admitted to going to therapy. I thought it was embarrassing and felt weird since I needed to go. Four years later, I am here to tell you therapy has changed my life for the better. I openly promote counseling, even if you think you have nothing to talk about. Sometimes just venting to someone not involved in the issue relieves your stress more than you would think.

Some tips I have used to improve my mental health are walking (as mentioned above), going to therapy, spending time with friends and journaling.

Spending time with friends is crucial for my mental health. Once you find your people, spending time with friends will solve any of your problems without even trying to. I love spending time with the people I love.

Journaling helps me express myself in ways I maybe wouldn’t want to tell a friend or family member. Journaling is also great for those who are unsure if they want to commit to therapy just yet. No one will read your journal but you, so there is no judgment. Let your thoughts flow and write them all out. It is such an amazing emotional release.

Finding ways to manage and improve mental health are personal and can make a positive difference.