Hot takes: fashion trend edition

We have all heard of “hot takes.” So what about some hot takes: fashion edition? I will be going over some fashion ticks and some fashion icks. 

To start off on a high note, I will be going over some current popular fashion trends that I love. First, this summer was the summer of jorts, aka jean shorts. Say what you want, but jorts are cute. This was the summer of long jorts. Jorts look great on everyone with any body type. They look great dressed up or dressed down. You can make them into a nineties look, Y2K or just a relaxed indie look. I practically lived in jorts this summer.

As we are heading into fall, I have been loving the bow trend on TikTok. I remember being in third grade and my mom would always put bows in my little sisters and my hair and I would complain so much. Never in a million years did I think I would be asking her to bring me ribbons when she came to visit me at college. They look cute paired with everything. Shoes, sweaters, hair, you name it. They add a cute feminine touch to all outfits. The only thing is they are starting to be overdone a little bit. Here comes the hot take. Yes, I love the bow trend and partake in it myself, but there isn’t a reason to have 12 bows included in one outfit. If bows are tied onto the belt loops of jeans, five in your bubble braided hair, bows on your book-bag, bows on your UGG boots, you have outdone yourself. If you wear bows in moderation, that’s perfect. Too many and it seems overbearing.

Going along with another fall trend, I have been loving knit sweaters. You can probably picture the exact sweaters I am thinking of. The ones where they look hand-knit. The chunkier the better. We live in Michigan where the weather gets ugly fast. We need all the layers and warmth we can get from our clothes.

If you are on TikTok and watch fashion and outfit-related videos, you have probably heard of wearing the outfit and not letting it wear you. This essentially means when you wear an outfit, you are styling it towards your taste and body type. For example, you are wearing a pair of jeans, a white sweater and UGG Tasmans. That is simply putting on the outfit. In order to style the outfit, you have to add some pizazz. You can tuck the sweater up to make it cropped, roll the jeans at the bottom, add some cute jewelry pieces, tie your hair half up with a bow and wear matching white frilly socks to match the sweater. Now you have styled an outfit. I love this concept, and it has helped me so much when getting ready for class in the morning.

Lastly, the most popular trend and new “in” thing at the moment is slicked-back hair. I have to say, I am a slicked-back hair hater but not for the reason that you think I may be. I think it looks adorable on literally everyone. Slicked back ponytails, buns, ponytails with braids, half up and half down looks- an absolute slay in my opinion. Where I hate the trend is because I have curly hair. I can never get my hair to stay slicked back no matter how much gel and product I use. I will never be able to master the perfect slicked-back hair unless I spend hours straightening my hair. Until I can master the art of this hairstyle on my curly hair, I am patiently waiting for the trend to die down, so I can not worry about my baby hairs sticking out every which way.

The best thing about fashion is that it is an artistic form of expression. Everyone is entitled to wear whatever makes them happy. This is in no way shape or form hating on anyone who does like the fashion trends I have pointed out that don’t always rock my boat. Everyone is free to dress and express themselves freely, so have fun and be yourself.