News Briefs 11/6

GVL+Briefs
GVL Briefs

GV School of Engineering and Computing to split into separate colleges

Through an email addressed by President Philomena Mantella, Grand Valley State University students were informed the Board of Trustees approved the reorganization of a few academic enterprises already existing within the university. The Padnos College of Engineering and Computing will be split into two separate entities: the Padnos College of Engineering and a new, distinct college of computing.

The separation of these two schools within GVSU is largely due to the growing needs of both fields in the West Michigan area and to provide more full course offerings to students within the major. High enrollment and heavy graduate rates have supported the decision for the change, and the Board of Trustees believes it will be especially vital with the explosion of technological integration in everyday life.

Mantella said the Padnos College of Engineering will build stronger community partnerships, and the separation of the school will capitalize on the expanded support from the state of Michigan.

“There are widespread and growing needs in these fields (computing and engineering), particularly as Michigan reshapes manufacturing, expands mobility and leads a technological transformation. Our new college of computing will meet the demand for talent while engaging more deeply with programs across campus to support digital literacy and technological advancements,” Mantella said in the email announcement.

The split will not disrupt current students in the Padnos College of Engineering and Computing. Students within the college can expect a “seamless” transition for their academic plans within the current operating curriculum.

Long-awaited clean energy legislation passes in Michigan House, heads to Gov. Whitmer

The Michigan House of Representatives has made history after passing what some are calling the most significant legislation for climate action in the state. After sessions of deliberation went late into the night Wednesday and Thursday, the House of Representatives announced the passing of the “Clean Energy Future Package.”

This legislative movement consists of three main Senate Bills: Senate Bill 271, 273 and 502. These bills will increase the amounts that utility companies must pay in cost recovery cases, add or amend provisions related to energy waste reduction plans, add or change provisions related to clean and renewable energy requirements and require consideration of environmental justice impacts in certain circumstances, among other things.

The Clean Energy Future Package also passed several supplemental bills addressing other impacts of a clean energy transition.

Kyler Sumter of the Natural Resource Defense Council wrote the legislation could put Michigan in a place of leadership not only within the Midwest but also in the United States.

“The bills would make Michigan a national leader on clean, carbon-free and renewable energy while also providing Michiganders with more affordable utility bills,” Sumter writes.

The legislation drives the state of Michigan towards a future of renewable, clean energy. This would be a step towards a more sustainable future and could put pressure for climate action on other states in the nation. The Clean Energy Package awaits approval by Governor Whitmer.