Making the most of your intern experience

Internships provide many opportunities for future workers and can lead to many great things. These experiences are very versatile, but they can all be changed based on what you make of them. Internships are so important because it is a glimpse into a company’s culture, real-world situations and a lot of networking opportunities. They are great for seeing what you like and more importantly what you don’t like.

I think there are many ways to set yourself apart and turn an internship experience into a career, which is why it is crucial to put the most into your time with the company, regardless of the outcome.

There are many things to do to take control of your intern experience and get the most out of it.

First, asking questions is vital to your development and is noted by business professionals. Asking questions will make you stand out from the crowd and look eager to learn more.

Next, finishing all your work with one hundred percent effort and double-checking for errors. It’s not about quantity, it’s about the quality of your work. Submitting quality, error-free work shows attention to detail and that you take every assignment seriously.

Additionally, be prepared to go above and beyond. Many interns find themselves bored throughout the day or looking for work to do. The biggest mistake I see with interns is they don’t do anything when this problem arises; they just take the time to slack off and relax, which isn’t a good look. Never be afraid to ask for more work to do. An internship is all about learning the most you can by working on real projects. If you think you have the capacity to do a little more, just reach out to your manager, and they will always be able to get you started on another task. There is never “no work,” but sometimes your manager doesn’t know your work capacity and doesn’t want to overwhelm you. On the other hand, if you feel as if you have too much to work on, always talk to your manager. Your manager is there to assist you and, essentially, be your mentor throughout your entire internship process. An internship isn’t just what you can give to a company, it is also about what you can gain from your experience. 

Involvement as an intern is something that many interns overlook since the time with the company is so short. Relationships can extend past the office with extra effort. Most companies have out-of-office bonding events or volunteer activities outside of work hours. This is the perfect opportunity to get to know your work colleagues and managers on a more personal level. I was able to learn so much about my fellow interns and managers during my internship volunteer event. There are fewer distractions when out of the office, which allows for more meaningful conversation. This doesn’t mean involvement shouldn’t happen in the office as well. So many people are willing to get to know an intern and help them out. People love to talk about their journey and give advice. Just walking up to people and introducing yourself can lead to a great conversations and connections.

Overall, internships are all about your own self-growth and professional development. Not every single experience will be great, but you can still learn a lot from it. Internships usually are just a semester-long or for a short period. Using these tips and guidelines can make sure you leave your internship with long-lasting connections, new knowledge and vast experiences that could even lead to a full-time role post graduation.