Why graduation is more than just a diploma and work

Graduation comes with a wide range of emotions that vary from person to person. It is a great accomplishment and a high point in many people’s lives. However, with all the joy comes loads of anxiety surrounding the major life steps that come post-graduation.

One major anxiety, and the main one, is work. I think a big misconception about graduation is that it is all about landing your dream job and working full-time right away, but that is not always the case for everyone.

When you graduate college, you have another set of options that open up to you just like graduation after high school. These vary from trying something new, moving to a new place or continuing your education. All I was focused on recently was finding that “perfect” job for myself within Grand Rapids. After networking and meeting with my internship manager and academic advisor, I realized there is so much more to consider. Some of the best advice I have received recently was that your first job is just your first job. I learned how common it is to have many jobs in your first years as a young professional. Searching for that “perfect” job will just lead to added stress because it may take a few opportunities to find out what you like and don’t like in a company and job position.

Taking a gap year to figure things out is another option too. Many people overlook this option, but it can give you that extra time to figure out what path you want to take for a career. The extra year can also give you the time to figure out what the best path to continuing your education is. Graduate school can be another opportunity to attend another university nearby or if you are ambitious enough, you can travel to a university across the country. The extra time in between to learn more about yourself and your career goals can be a crucial point in your career. Even if it is just a semester break to work and save money before going back to school, it can set you up for success.

There is never a better time to test out living in a new place than after graduation. When you are young, nothing is tying you down to an area. It is the perfect opportunity to try out living wherever you want. For example, if you want to move across the country from Michigan to Oregon, you can. When you are young, you have the energy, and you don’t have a family that you need to factor in when deciding to move. You also have an opportunity to travel postgrad. You are able to travel before you enter the workforce. You have your entire life to work, so why not go on the trip you have been waiting to go on since college? Time completely opens up once you graduate, and it is now your choice to do whatever you want with this new freedom.

Don’t confine yourself to one path when you are planning your postgrad plan. You can travel and enjoy a couple of months to yourself, you can try a few new careers, you can move to a new destination or you can find out the best way to continue your education. By keeping your options open, you can minimize your stress and create the best path for yourself. The best part about graduation is there is no exact path or right answer.