News Briefs 1/8

GVL+Briefs
GVL Briefs

GVSU hosts alumni event in D.C.

The Grand Valley State University Alumni Relations Office is hosting an alumni-centered event in Washington, D.C. that will provide context to the United States in the international political scape. Set to take place on Jan. 10, the event will be headlined by former U.S. Ambassador John Beyrle. GVSU lobbyist Steve Carey will host the event at his townhouse near Capitol Hill from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.

Beyrle was the Ambassador to Russia under President Barrack Obama’s administration. Beyrle has unique expertise and inside understanding of the relationship between the United States and Russia. At the event he will provide a keynote address focusing on the state of international politics and relations within the Russia-Ukraine conflict.

As the Ukraine-Russia conflict continues to wage on, information to understand the conflict is important. For students at GVSU with an interest in international politics or the interworking of governmental ambassadorship, Beyrle will provide an intimate account of the workings of government. Beyrle’s experience allows him to elaborate on the roles of foreign ambassadors to United States’ governmental operations.

The GVSU events calendar describes the event as a beneficial opportunity for attendees to network and mentions that attendees can expect food, beverages and conversation. The event is open to any alumni and students interested, though RSVPs are required to be able to receive further information and the event’s address.

Grand Haven man commits Meijer mPerks fraud

MLive reported a case of fraud that was brought to light involving Meijer’s mPerks rewards and coupon system. The scammer, Nicholas Mui, has been charged with nine counts of felony for stealing mPerks account information online over the last two years.

According to Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel, this kind of fraud is unusual.

“It’s not regular shoplifting,” Nessel said to MLive.

Allegedly, Mui defrauded a hundreds of shoppers’ mPerks rewards, selling account information to buyers who utilized the rewards points to fraudulently make purchases. Mui has two 20-year felony charges, one count of conducting a criminal enterprise and one count of using a computer to commit a crime. Additionally, Mui has seven counts of identity theft– a total of 35 years sentenced to prison. In total, Mui received around 60 years in prison through his multiple charges.

Online fraud through grocery store rewards and coupons could encourage mPerks account to undergo security changes. Official changes to the mPerks system have yet to be announced, but shoppers can expect to see some changes in account access settings.