News Briefs 1/22

GVL+Briefs
GVL Briefs

GV Johnson Center for Philanthropy publishes annual trend report

The Dorothy A. Johnson Center for Philanthropy at Grand Valley State University has produced their eighth annual report highlighting 11 common trends facing communities, nonprofit organizations and public foundations in 2024. Further analysis of trends provides background as to how funding decisions are made, specifically prioritization regarding communication and policy. The trends are released in hopes of further investigating how nonprofits and donors come to decisions that ultimately impact the greater public.

Some trends of note from the Johnson Center for Philanthropy include (but are not limited to):

• How Gen Z is balancing their economic reality with a desire to create change.
  • The nature of success in higher education in prison programs.
  • The increasing scrutiny of anonymous donations, both in politics and philanthropy.
  • How Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders are leading an upsurge in philanthropy.
  • How the glass cliff is creating a crisis in leadership, especially for Black women.

Many of the topics weigh heavy in the minds of the GVSU community, especially in terms of their ability to enact change with the financial reality of life in 2024. These trends not only provide a guideline for expectations in the coming year, but also capture an image of workplaces, benefits and the societal landscape that students will enter post-graduation.

For more information regarding the Johnson Center for Philanthropy’s report, view the story covered by GVNext. To see the complete annual report, visit the Johnson Center’s website.