Lana Del Rey’s SKIMS collaboration was genius marketing

If you’re a social media user, chances are, you’ve heard of SKIMS, the American shapewear and clothing brand co-founded by Kim Kardashian, Emma Grede and Jens Grede. SKIMS has taken over the internet, with people raving non-stop about their products, which range from T-shirts to undergarments. The brand is known for its iconic campaigns with popular organizations and celebrities, such as the NBA, WMBA, Patrick Mahomes, Coco Jones and many more.

On Jan. 18, a SKIMS collaboration with a Grammy Award-winning artist dropped for Valentine’s Day. The campaign features someone the public would have never guessed– Lana Del Rey. 

Del Rey is the perfect person to represent the Valentine’s Day collection because she embodies every aspect of its color scheme and portrayal of femininity. She didn’t have to go “out of character” for the collection’s photo shoot, which represents her image as much as it represents the products being marketed.  

Variety quoted Del Rey’s statement in which the artist said she has “been a big fan of SKIMS since the beginning,” and the SKIMS collection is so pretty and dreamy, which made collaborating with [Cohen] on the creative so fun.”

The collection features a cream-colored set with tiny red hearts, bright pink and pale purple lace-lined tank tops. Robes, shirts, undergarments, pajamas, baby onesies and even a dog jacket are being sold. Promotional images show Del Rey wearing SKIMS from head to toe, while surrounded by big elegant heart props and white cats. My favorite image from the photo shoot is of Del Rey posing with the cats. She looks stunning, as always, and perfectly represents the femininity of Valentine’s Day. 

The initial launch photo, showing Del Rey peeking out of a velvet blue heart, has 481,000 likes and over 6,000 comments, with the post still receiving love from supporters. The unexpected nature of the collaboration added to the shock value of the announcement post.

The post’s comments encapsulate fans being in favor of the collaboration. One of the many comments reads, “The BEST marketing decision Kim ever did!!! HATS OFF TO MISS KIMBERLY.” Another user said the collection was the “BEST THING EVER.” 

Not only did Del Rey’s fans love the iconic photoshoot, but the company experienced huge financial returns from it. It was publicized that the collection announcement amassed $13.7 million in media impact value within four days. Del Rey’s own Instagram post earned SKIMS more than $4 million. The products’ launch sold out within minutes and the website crashed from so many page visits. 

Not only were SKIMS fans scrambling onto the website to purchase the collection’s items, but Del Rey’s fans, some of which might have been new to the brand, were as well. The collaboration was a great opportunity to reach another demographic and it was an incredible idea by SKIMS. Like one Instagram comment said, “Whoever thought of this deserves a raise.” 

When it comes to Valentine’s Day collections and the holiday as a whole, there is a common misconception that Feb. 14 is all about couples, dating, marriage and partnership. Instead of featuring a couple, I love that Kardashian’s creative team instead chose to embark on a campaign featuring solely one person. SKIMS chose the perfect person to collaborate with for the collection, which reflects not only the brand itself, but Del Rey’s passionate persona as well.