Laker Food Co. acknowledges cultures through international food

GVL / Trenton Estrada

On Wednesday, Jan. 31, Laker Food Co. at Grand Valley State University hosted an “International Meal Day” event, serving two classic dishes from Nepal. The event took place at one of GVSU’s main dining facilities, The Dish, located inside Kleiner Commons.

Through this event, students at GVSU were given the opportunity to experience food and flavor they might not have had before.

The International Meal from Nepal event featured two main cuisines. The first was Aloo Bhindi. Aloo Bhindi is a North Indian dish often served with steamed rice, flatbreads or roti. The meal features Bhindi, also known as Okra, and potatoes with spices and herbs. Many people feel Aloo Bhindi is a comfort dish because it is simple in ingredients but flavorful in taste. 

GVL / Trenton Estrada

The other meal from Nepal was Tempeh Choila. It is a meatless dish made with tempeh, onions, scallions and garlic, though there are many variations across Nepal. Tempeh is a traditional Indonesian dish typically made out of fermented soybeans, making it a popular choice for vegetarians and vegans alike. Choila is a dish filled with spices and vegetables cooked together. The Dish chose to prepare this dish as a vegan take on a traditionally meat-filled meal.

Mar Brown, a GVSU freshman, tried the featured meals from Nepal at The Dish and thought it was a fun way to try new things.

“(The dishes) were tasty. It’s so important to give us the opportunity to try new foods that we might not have had before,” Brown said.

The International Meal Day featuring Nepal was a way to introduce new foods and different cultures to GVSU students.

GVL / Trenton Estrada

“(Hosting International Meals) is a chance to introduce guests to international food options,” said Glen Behan, the director of Fresh Food Co.

Behan said trying international meals gives students a bite of new cultures. He said that Laker Food Co. has been hosting International Meals for years.

“It allows students to experience and appreciate different cultures, broaden their culinary horizons and promote diversity and inclusivity within the university environment,” Behan said. “Additionally, it can encourage a greater understanding and appreciation of global traditions and customs, fostering a more interconnected and empathetic GVSU community.”

Each international meal features a different country, highlighting a couple of dishes from that country. According to Behan, Laker Food Co. works with the Padnos International Center to pair an international student with a corresponding international meal to ensure the dish itself is an accurate representation of that country. In other situations, Laker Food Co. student employees will collaborate with a professional chef to recreate a culturally accurate meal.

Laker Food Co. regularly hosts different events and meal experiences, such as sustainability events, informational sessions on nutrition and holiday specific menus. 

Through events like International Meal Day, students can taste food from around the world without leaving campus. Updates about dining on campus, ranging from special events to menus can be found on the Laker Food Co. Instagram, @gvsufood. 

GVL / Trenton Estrada