News Briefs 2/5

GVL+Briefs
GVL Briefs

State of Michigan settles opioid-marketing suit

The advertising agency Publicis Health has come to an agreement, settling a case regarding their contribution to the opioid epidemic via suggestive and potentially misleading advertising campaigns with the state of Michigan. The settlement amounts to nearly $12 million for Michigan, which the state has announced will be put towards fighting the state’s opioid crisis.

The advertising company was involved in the production of OxyContin’s advertising– a leading prescription painkiller that was aggressively advertised, while being highly addictive.

“A consistent feature in the promotion and marketing of OxyContin was a systematic effort to minimize the risk of addiction in the use of opioids for the treatment of chronic non–cancer-related pain,” according to Art Van Zee of the National Library of Medicine.

The company has since adjusted their policy, and vowed to not produce any further work for opiate medicines.

“(New York Attorney General’s Office Letitia James’) office said the materials played up the abuse-deterrent properties of OxyContin and promoted increasing patients’ doses. While the formulation made it harder to break down the drug for users to get a faster high, it did not make the pills any less addictive,” writes to Geoff Mulvihill of the Associated Press.

Between the years 2000 and 2020, the opioid death rate in Michigan increased an average 13.9% each year, according to Michigan Department of Health and Human Services.

“These deaths— and the impacts on thousands who have struggled with opioid addiction—have created considerable costs for our health care, child welfare, and criminal justice systems,” said Press Secretary Danny Simmer in a press release on the Michigan Department of Attorney General’s website.

The long term the impact of the opioid crisis continues to challenge pain management in medicine and struggles with addiction across the country. According to PBS News Hour, the advertising agency has agreed to pay $350 million in a settlement to the U.S. over the course of the next few months. Many residents are hoping that this settlement money can go towards creating lasting change for those struggling with addiction.

This could be a serious step in the right direction for curbing the opiate crisis, as changes begin to take place with pharmaceuticals.

Employer showcases to take place on GV campus

Multiple businesses and employers will be on campus at Grand Valley State University from Monday, Feb. 5 to Friday, Feb. 9. The companies and organizations on campus include:

• NovaCare Rehabilitation at the Daniel and Pamella DeVos Center for Interprofessional Health Lobby on the Health Campus
  • Atomic Object in the Mackinac Hall Pod, on the first floor of Mackinac Hall
  • AvaSure  in the Mackinac Hall Pod, on the first floor of Mackinac Hall
  • MillerKnoll  in the First Floor of the Eberhard Center on the Pew Campus
  • Pine Rest Mental Health Services in AuSable Hall

All of these events and tabling organizations are looking to meet with students and network in a manner that is more approachable and less intimidating. Each event’s description encourages any interested student to strike up a casual conversation, without the pressure of scheduling a formal meeting or dressing in business casual. All events’ descriptions outline that each organization are looking for interested individuals for potential employment, internships and to networking.

In addition to the several businesses tabling for interest among GVSU’s campuses, the Professional Sales Association (PSA) are hosting their Winter Career Fair. This event will center around PSA sales, marketing and supply chain structures, giving students the chance to ask additional questions, dig into day-in-the-life work experiences and understand professional work expectations in the sales field. This will take place in the L. William Seidman Center on the Pew Campus.