The Grammys were a night of excitement, surprise and disappointment

The 2024 Grammys, which took place on Feb. 4, simultaneously brought standout moments of exhilaration, along with some heavy-heartedness for fans of numerous popular music artists. 

Many Taylor Swift fans, or “Swifties,” were expecting Swift to make an announcement at the award ceremony. People had speculated that she would announce a re-recording of “Reputation,” her sixth studio album that she originally released in 2017. Swift threw fans for a loop during the acceptance speech of her 13th-ever Grammy win. After winning Best Pop Vocal Album for “Midnights,” Swift announced the release of an entirely new album, “The Tortured Poets Department.” The album will be released on April 19 and will include 17 new tracks with features from Post Malone and Florence and the Machine. I am very excited for the new album and these collaborations, and am hoping this album will emit similar vibes as Swift’s albums “folklore” and “evermore.”

On the other hand, Lana Del Rey did not receive any Grammys. Del Rey has been robbed of these awards since her first nomination for her debut album, “Born to Die,” in 2012. She has now been nominated for 11 Grammys and has yet to receive an award from the Recording Academy. 

Many have criticized Swift’s success and blamed her for the lack of awards Del Rey has received. The public is constantly finding new ways to hate Swift by saying she is untalented, annoying, or that she is taking opportunities away from others, like Del Rey, for example. One person’s success does not have to challenge another, and the Recording Academy’s decisions are not in an artist’s control. This debate, however, has caused many fans and followers to voice their opinions about Swift and Del Rey.

When Swift received the “Album of the Year” award for “Midnights,” she turned to Del Rey, as the two are friends. Swift then pulled Del Rey up on stage with her to receive the award, as she wanted Del Rey to receive recognition and attention as well. Del Rey is featured on Swift’s song, “Snow On The Beach,” which is on the “Midnights” tracklist. It seems as though Swift was trying to give Del Rey the recognition she deserved by dragging her onstage and praising her in her speech, but she may not have done so in the most sensitive way. I believe Swift had only positive intentions with her actions, but got carried away in the moment.

Although people are worried about this situation, Del Rey confirmed that she is not upset about anything and she was simply happy to be at the ceremony. She assured her loyal fans that there were no negative vibes and shut down the rumors.

“I literally just loved being there. I love to see everyone, get the tea and hang out,” Del Rey commented on a fan’s Instagram. “I literally did not feel 1 ounce of negative emotion at any point in that award ceremony. It was pure funniness and laughter.” 

Additionally, at the ceremony, boygenius received three Grammy awards after their first time being nominated as a group. Phoebe Bridgers, also a solo artist and one of three boygenius members, alongside Lucy Dacus and Julien Baker, told off former Recording Academy CEO and chairman, Neil Portnow.

“I have something to say about women,” Bridgers told the press room. “The ex-president of the Recording Academy, Neil Portnow, said that if women want to be nominated in the Grammys, they should step up… he’s also being accused of sexual violence. So and to him I’d like to say, ‘I know you’re not dead yet, but when you are, I hope you rot in piss.’”

To me, Bridger’s powerful statement shows her ability to be fearless in speaking up against injustice. 

Another standout moment of this year’s Grammys was Billy Joel’s performance of his first new song in almost two decades, “Turn the Lights Back On.” A segment that played before his performance highlighted the process of co-writing the song with Arthur Bacon, a lifelong fan of Joel’s. Joel, now 74 years old, has no plans to release an album, with this track being a stand-alone single. In 2019, Joel told Rolling Stone, “It’s really about the creative process that’s important to me, not about having records on the charts or selling a lot of recordings.” The release of Joel’s new song encapsulates his attitude towards the creation of music and fame. The release also discusses time passing and going back to love, and I feel like this represents what Joel did with his songwriting after many years.

Miley Cyrus, after being in the music industry for nearly her entire lifetime, received her first two Grammy awards at this year’s ceremony. She expressed she was thankful for the award and that even the day prior, without any Grammys in her possession, “life was beautiful.” She said, “Not everyone in the world will get a Grammy, but everyone in this world is spectacular. So, please don’t think that this is important, even though it’s very important.” Cyrus is an incredibly talented person in both the music industry and Hollywood, and it is a relief to see that she has finally received a Grammy award after years of dedication.

This 2024 Grammy Award ceremony was full of unexpected moments that left audiences excited for both new and old artists, disappointed by some results and feeling eager for what is to come in the music industry.