Tattoos are not unprofessional

I constantly hear the older generations, such as the Baby Boomers or Gen X, saying that tattoos are “unprofessional” and that they can ruin an individual’s chance at getting a job. Tattoos have become very popular, especially among Gen Z and Millennials. A large percentage of college-educated people have them as well.

This rhetoric is problematic and can be discriminatory to say that tattoos are “unprofessional.” Doing so takes away a person’s creative bodily autonomy.

According to the Pew Research Center, around 32% of Americans have tattoos. 23% of Gen X have tattoos and 41% of Millennials have tattoos, according to Statista. These percentages show that tattoos should no longer be despised in United States workplaces, as they have become a common way to express oneself.

Tattoos are an expressive art for those who choose to decorate their bodies.

Someone’s work ethic is not determined by how they look, but rather their ability to do their job successfully. Personal adornment is an individual’s decision and does not determine how good of a person they are, how successful they will be in a certain field, or how professional they can be. Having tattoos, dyed hair, jewelry or anything within the realm of embellishing one’s appearance does not detract from their ability to work. Tattoos are an art form that people use to decorate their bodies, and they should not be regarded as unprofessional.

If the content of a tattoo is racist, homophobic, or problematic in some way, this is a different story. Problematic tattoos can be revealing about a person’s character. They show employers what values or beliefs they might bring to a workplace. On the other hand, if tattoos have nudity or imagery that may be considered inappropriate for certain audiences, the tattoo can easily be covered up with clothing or makeup. Specific tattoo designs may be considered unprofessional based on what they contain, but tattoos themselves are not unprofessional.

There is also a clear correlation between racism and tattoo discrimination. Although anyone can have tattoos, some tattoos are part of cultural traditions. The association between tattoos and marginalized groups shows that calling tattoos unprofessional is not only an attempt to limit creativity but is offensive as well. Judging a person based on their tattoos may come from an inherent bias or stereotyping. Indigenous communities have embraced the art of tattooing and use it as a way to honor their culture. Indigenous communities throughout North America have used tattoos to mark important milestones for hundreds of years, such as the marriage of a young woman or learning a new cooking skill. Tattoos are also used in Indigenous communities to identify a person’s tribe, family, or society.

Being prejudiced against those with tattoos is problematic in several ways. It is not just an attempt to destroy creativity– it can be discriminatory and racist. Further, trying to limit personal expression in the workplace is a form of discrimination– it restricts access to free speech and a person’s ability to show who they truly are. Ultimately, so many people have tattoos that it will become almost impossible for employers to find people with no creative expression on their bodies.