News Briefs 8/20

McKenna Peariso

Lot closings for fall move-In 

Freshman move-in has already begun which means there will be closures across campus so incoming students can situate into their new living arrangements. Beginning Aug. 18 several parking lots and roads will have limited access. 

Lot C and D of North Campus will be closed Aug. 18 to 22. All designated parking areas in North Campus are closed during the move-in process. Lot M of South Campus will be closed Aug. 18 through 20 and Lot N will also be closed on the 20th. During peak move-in hours, expect traffic and limited vehicle access on North Campus Drive/West Ravine Center and South Campus Drive/Calder Art Center. 

Regular access will resume at 5 p.m. on Aug. 22. Questions about move-in parking and access can be directed to Parking Services at [email protected].

Welcome events for new school year

Over 6,000 students will be moving to Grand Valley’s campus Aug. 20 to 22. President Haas and his wife Marcia will serve ice cream to families and new students on Wednesday, Aug. 22, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. near Kleiner Commons on Allendale Campus.

President Haas will also deliver his annual Faculty and Staff address at 10 a.m. in the Louis Armstrong Theatre on August 24. Following the address, a Convocation ceremony will be held at 11:30 a.m. in the Fieldhouse Arena.  

First rec event of the year

Grand Valley’s Campus Recreation invites students to it’s first ever Live Eat RecFest event. Students can come and learn more about Campus Recreation, Housing, Campus Dining, and more. Live Eat RecFest will take place on Aug. 25 from 2 to 6 p.m. with lots of free food, giveaways and group exercise classes. 

To learn more about Campus Recreation or see a class schedule visit gvsu.edu/rec

GVSU receives acclaim 

Grand Valley State University has received several high rankings as a university in various publications. The university was named by The Princeton Review as one of the “2019 Best Colleges: Region by Region”. The Seidman College of Business was also named a “Best Business School” by The Review. Schools that were selected for this ranking were based primarily on academic programs as well as student feedback taken from individual surveys. 

Grand Valley was also included on Money Magazine’s “Best Colleges in America”. The university ranked 385 of over 700 public and private colleges and universities across the country. Grand Valley came in fourth in Michigan universities, being ranked behind the University of Michigan, Michigan State University and Michigan Tech.