‘We are part of something bigger’

GVL / Kevin Sielaff - Dean of students Bart Merkle speaks at student senates Last Lecture Nov. 19 at Grand Valleys Mary Idema Pew Library.

Kevin Sielaff

GVL / Kevin Sielaff – Dean of students Bart Merkle speaks at student senate’s Last Lecture Nov. 19 at Grand Valley’s Mary Idema Pew Library.

Ashlyn Korienek

If given the chance to speak to a campus crowd about anything for the last time, most people would find this to be a daunting, yet honorable experience. For Grand Valley State University’s Bart Merkle, this exact honor was given during his last year serving as the dean of students.

Merkle spoke to students and community members in the Mary Idema Pew Library Multipurpose Room on Nov. 19. After working as dean for more than 30 years, he will step down at the end of this academic year to become a faculty member within the College Student Affairs Leadership program.

As the speaker for this year’s Last Lecture, Merkle chose to focus on the idea of achieving destiny and remaining true to one’s individual identity. The GVSU student senate hosts this annual series with the general theme: If this was your last lecture, what would you say?

“I’m very honored,” Merkle said. “It is rather intimidating to be asked to give a last lecture. I mean, we are all dying, but being asked to give a last lecture really forces you to think about your own mortality.”

Maria Beelen, vice president for educational affairs on student senate, said this lecture gives students the opportunity to see faculty in a new light, and for that faculty member to speak on more than just their area of study.

“This is Merkle’s last year as a dean,” Beelen said. “I would imagine that wrapping up that experience wouldn’t be easy. I talked with him and he reflected on how he has the opportunity to speak to students when they enter GVSU at every freshman orientation. Now, he has the honor to leave an impression on students who may be leaving.”

The inspiration behind Merkle’s comments was driven from a poem by a former GVSU student, who died tragically in an automobile accident, and a quote from American orator and politician, William Jennings Bryan.

He also addressed the mission statement of the university as a framework for the entire speech: “Educating students to shape their lives, their professions and their societies.”

“I want to invite you to marry those two notions, achieving your destiny, shining your light and just being you,” Merkle said.

Providing students with a set of guiding principles in life, Merkle shared that establishing these principles are important and could be religious or philosophical. Some of his principles were about cherishing family and treating others ethically and with kindness.

“Second, we are part of something bigger,” Merkle said. “Whether you frame that in a religious perspective or however you frame it, I invite you to think about that. If you doubt that, go to Lake Michigan and watch the sunset.”

When students shape their lives, he said, there are basic skills or attributes that are essential to the journey. The first is learning and being willing to take risks. Others include self-reliance, determination and resilience.

“Learning is the foundation of almost everything we do,” he said. “In our personal lives and in our professional lives knowing how to learn and having that skill opens doors for opportunity. Learning is a really important ingredient and tool for shaping your life.”

Merkle ended his speech by stating that students should get involved in the community, as youth are the future of society. He gave last remarks on enjoying the journey and maintaining a sense of humor along the way.

“Confront your own bias,” Merkle said. “We all develop or have biases and it’s important to come to terms with our own, understand them and confront them. Then, maybe eliminate them.”