New living center ready for students

GVL/Kevin Sielaff - The Holton-Hooker Learning and Living Center is officially dedicated and opened on Friday, August 26, 2016.

GVL/Kevin Sielaff – The Holton-Hooker Learning and Living Center is officially dedicated and opened on Friday, August 26, 2016.

Meghan McBrady

As the new school year approaches, students, faculty, staff and leaders from around the West Michigan community celebrated the new Holton-Hooker Learning and Living Center dedication ceremony Friday, Aug. 26.

Accommodating more than 498 students in cluster-style housing, which emphasizes rooms being situated around bathrooms and lounge spaces, the living-learning center is air-conditioned, has a game room in the basement, a multipurpose room and a kitchen on every floor.

Four classrooms, a computer lab and a media lab are also included in the living-learning center so students can have the chance to conduct an interdisciplinary learning experience.

The center marks the newest addition to student housing on Grand Valley State University’s Allendale Campus. The dedication event recognized the leadership of Earl and Donnalee Holton and Bob and Judy Hooker for their philanthropic efforts throughout the region.

“You are enriching the lives now not with your leadership only as in years past, but enriching the lives of students for generations to come with lending your names right here,” said GVSU President Thomas Haas during the welcome address.

As active and engaged leaders throughout West Michigan, both couples served on GVSU’s Board of Trustees, the GVSU Foundation Board and conducted multiple fundraising campaigns throughout the years, which helped to expand GVSU’s downtown campus.

Past leadership accomplishments also have the Holtons chairing the first Children’s Miracle Network telethon in West Michigan, while Bob Hooker was the co-chair of campaigns for the DeVos Place and Judy Hooker previously served as the director of the Dyer-Ives Foundation.

John C. Kennedy, chairman on GVSU’s Board of Trustees, said he was honored to be at the unveiling of the living-learning that exceeds leadership in energy and environmental design (LEED) standards.

He also said he was honored to be at a ceremony that honored the couples who have been wonderful teachers and mentors in leadership throughout GVSU and west Michigan and uphold the ideals of student success.

“Through watching you work and how you serve our community, you have been a great example to us all,” he said. “At Grand Valley we have enjoyed 55 years of history and a history of leadership with 57 trustees, with 455 years of service, a lot of those are the four of you.

“We are blessed as an organization because of the many years of service you have provided and that others have done.”

Ella Fritzemeier, GVSU’s student senate president and a residential assistant in the Holton-Hooker Learning and Living Center, said helping the freshman students move into the new housing center was a positive reminder on how the GVSU community continues to expand and invest on the Allendale Campus.

The learning-living center, she said, will only help to amplify the development of its students and make them engaged members of GVSU’s academic and social lives.

“Being surrounded by people who are going through the same changes and challenges that you are, partaking new experiences and developing relationships with so many different people creates that unique freshman experience that allows students at Grand Valley to learn so much about themselves,” Fritzemeier said.

“This space is so important to achieving our mission and our mission is clear in shaping our students’ lives, their professions and society,” Haas said. “We are here to support an environment for all to succeed.”