Quick Hits: Softball, basketball add new recruits

Lanthorn Staff

Lakers earn sixth seed in Midwest Regional

The Grand Valley State  volleyball team enters its 17th NCAA Tournament as the sixth seed in the Midwest Region. The Lakers are the defending Midwest Region champions, and will face third-seeded Lewis on Dec. 3 in Big Rapids, Michigan. 

If the Lakers make it through the first round, they will meet the winner of the two and seventh-seeded match between Rockhurst and Saginaw Valley State,.

GVSU is 37-15 in postseason play including nine regional championships.

GVSU softball bolsters 2017 recruiting class

The GVSU softball team recently announced the addition of three student-athletes to its 2017 recruiting class. Allie Grys, Kelcie LaTour and Kayla Plastiak will all join the Lakers next fall.

A transfer from Lansing Community College, Grys is a 5-foot-8-inch pitcher who was an All-State First Team selection her junior and senior years at Portland High School.

LaTour is corner infielder who packs a punch at the plate. She set multiple offensive records while attending Dakota High School.

Plastiak, an Illinois native, is a primary infielder who coaches say is learning a little outfield as well. In 2015, she was honored with the Southwest Suburban Conference Athletic Excellence Award.

Men’s basketball adds Dorsey to recruiting fold

Grand Valley State head basketball coach Ric Wesley recently released news of the signing of Chris Dorsey to the Laker basketball team. The junior college transfer will be eligible to suit up for GVSU next season.

Dorsey is a 6-foot-3-inch combo guard from Troy, Michigan, who earned a number of awards during his time at Troy High School, where he was team captain. He spent the past two seasons at Macomb Community College in Warren, Michigan.

He is also the cousin of Portland Trail Blazers guard Gerald Henderson, a six-year NBA veteran.

Women’s soccer garners academic honors

Three members of the Grand Valley State soccer team were named Academic All-Americans. Juniors Marti Corby and Clare Carlson along with sophomore Shannon Quinn were dubbed with the honors.

Corby and Carlson were both first team members, while Quinn earned third team honors. These players join a group of 13 Lakers in program history to receive the academic-based award.